Lubrication

Pork Chop
Pork Chop Posts: 11
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Can anybody recomend some good lube's to me.
i have a hard tail with mechanical disk breaks. (Dunno if that makes any difference)
been i while since iv rode but i used to just spray some wd40 on the chain and that was it.
I need one for summer riding but with some sluch.
there seems to be that many variations i dont know what i should be buying.

Thanks,

ROB!!!
Orange%20copy.jpg

Comments

• masondasyk
    masondasyk Posts: 80
    check out your local lbs and see which one they reccomend, or try for halfords, they do some good lubricants. thats where i get mine from, only cost me £7 and theres no trouble, just spray it on.
    if we need trees for the air we breathe..

then how come when we hit the tree it takes the air out of us??... ( trees...the selfish b***erds want it back!! )
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    i use lubes from a company called finish line they are very good you can get them from you local bike shop about £4 its a bargain dont use wd40 because it will actually act as a degreaser and do more damage than good plus it will attract load of dirt onto the chain. get some degreaser as well and every week or so give the chain a good clean with it.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • Pork Chop
    thanks for your help.
    iv had a look at the finish line products and found a wet and a dry lube which look good.
    can these be used on the suspension as well as the chain or do i need something else.
    (Its synthetic)

iv have also seen one called white lightning epic lubricant which claims to be all conditions. can this one be used on suspension and the chain or just the chain? :?

Sorry if these are silly questions but im just starting out and theres a lot to learn :shock:

ROB!!!
    Orange%20copy.jpg
  • Xybadog
    Xybadog Posts: 124
    Pork Chop wrote:
    thanks for your help.
    iv had a look at the finish line products and found a wet and a dry lube which look good.
    can these be used on the suspension as well as the chain or do i need something else.
    (Its synthetic)

iv have also seen one called white lightning epic lubricant which claims to be all conditions. can this one be used on suspension and the chain or just the chain? :?

Sorry if these are silly questions but im just starting out and theres a lot to learn :shock:

ROB!!!

I think, for safety's sake, you would need to check the manufacturers website or the containers, to see what the recommended usage instructions are.
    "Life is like a box of chocolates..." what the f*ck is that all about? 8)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2038431/
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    finish line or white lightning all condition lubes are fine for the chain but you shouldnt really need to lube you suspension. just curious what forks have you got?
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    White lightning wax lube is brilliant summer lube, give that a go, finish line has great thick winter lubes for the wet!
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Finish line lubes are excellent ,Ive used their wet lube all winter in the awful welsh weather and my drivetrain is still super smooth !!
  • Pork Chop
    Thanks for the advice.
    i'll go with the white lightning first then, why it says "all weather" If it doesnt cut it on the winter rides or through the fords i'll switch to the finish line lube.
    just curious what forks have you got?

i have the standard SR Suntour XCM forks which came with my avalanch 3.0.
    nothing special but as im a poor student iv gotta make em last.

I read somewere that you should put synthetic lubricant on the forks.
    Guess it was wrong, glad i came here before i bought any.

Thanks,

ROB!!!
    Orange%20copy.jpg
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i use white lightning for summer and finishline wet for winter,.. both are good..

as for suspension i take it you meanfor the seals i use finishline tefflon grease

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5oz%20Tube
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I'll admit to being a bit of an, ahem, lube fetishist - I've tried loads of them. I have now gone back to good old Finish Line XC lube for summer and winter. It is great in the wet and doesn't attract too much dirt, but works well in the dry too.

Having said that, I was impressed with Motorex lubes, particularly the dry version which is great in summer and has a purple tint, so its easy to see where you've put it on.

I used White lightning lubes for a while, the Epic seemed best for UK riding. Its quite thin so needs reapplying more often, but it attracts almost no muck. You are best to have a completely clean, degreased chain before using White Lightning so it sticks properly. Never mix it with anything else.

There is no problem putting a drop of teflon lube on the stanchions of your forks and cycling them up and down a couple of times. This will lubricate the seals. Finish Line Dry teflon lube is good.
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Anyone here use GT85?
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I've just treated the chains and just bout everything that moves on my 3 bikes with ZX1 friction reducer

http://www.zx1store.co.uk

I have used this product in my car engines for a few years and bought their 'micro lube' application to use of my bikes. One bottle has done every moving part plus every chain link on 3 bikes and there's still plenty left. I thoroughly cleaned and degreased the chains before application, afterwards I have not yet re-applied normal lubricant and the chains are all silky smooth but I am going to apply lube/wax to the chains on 2 bikes to be sure (or it could get expensive replacing 3 chains if this doesn't work as I hope it's going to) but I'm going to leave the third without to see how it compares.

Just a suggestion.

Usual disclaimer, I am not affiliated with the manufacturers of ZX1 friction reducer etc etc etc..... I am just a customer who has used their products and found them to work very well.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • I'm using something called Pedros Extra Dry. It's quite good. do you know anything better?
    Join me at SackUpSports Community http://sackupsports.com Climbing -
    Downhill Biking - Ski - Snowboard