Fixed: Starting To Get....

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited May 2008 in Road general
....SILLY!

Like this on th'bay: "AWESOME CUSTOM MADE FIXED GEAR RACER, HEAD TURNER!!!"

And it says "If you didn't know already, fixed gear cycles are becoming the modus operandi for all cycle enthusiasts out there, purists claiming it is the only way to ride! "

Oh dear. Now where did I put that enormous pile of geary stuff I've removed from perfectly good bikes over last 10 years or so....I must make amends....
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Relax.

Ignore fashion.

Ride what you like.

Don't worry about the band wagon etc.

In my opinion fixed is great and so are gears.

These days you can have it all!
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    Jaysus! I've heard some meaningless drivel in my time, but that takes the biscuit. "the modus operandi for all cycle enthusiasts" what the four canals is that supposed to mean?
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    what does "what the four canal does that mean" mean? :roll: :roll:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    every old horizontal drop road bike is advertised as 'fixed track pista conversion'. it's lame.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    what does "what the four canal does that mean" mean? :roll: :roll:

i think you are supposed to read it a bit faster

as in "fourc an al"
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Fret ye not brother. Like all trends/fashions etc. it's a London thing - if you ignore all ebay listings in the south-east and just search local listings, then you will discover that it's not the whole country gone mad, it's just our capital that leads the world in BS.
  • NorwegianBlue
    The thing that bugs me is the number of bikes cropping up on ebay advertized as "fixed" when all the vendor has done is fit a BMX freewheel and remove the outer ring. I went to take a look at one on ebay that was local and the chain line was way out, the wheel hadn't been redished. I know chainline's not really a problem if you use derailleur chain, but the bike was advertised as a "professional fixed conversion".

In the end it sold for £90. A pretty good ROI; £5 for a Raleigh Winner from the free ads, £5 for a cheap freewheel and £5 for some single chainring bolts and sell it for £90.
  • meagain
    "it's a London thing - if you ignore all ebay listings in the south-east and just search local listings, then you will discover that it's not the whole country gone mad,"

Fixed ain't "mad", but I suspect that still a rarity in most of the UK. I was out on a County Council Rural Ride thing on Sunday. Over 30 bikes. Also about 10 from a local Club at lunch stop. And saw maybe another dozen on the roads. Mine was the only fixed.
    d.j.
  • graham_g
    Mad was in reference to the seller who seems to think that it's as essential an item to your average cyclist as lycra. Definitely a rarity still outside London - I can count on one hand the number of fixed wheels I've seen in my 6 months in Bristol, and there are a lot of cyclists here. That said, I'm hoping to get out on one of Pete Beers' fixed Bristol rides so there must be a few about!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i'm moving in august to bristol. i have 4 fixed wheel bikes. that should help.
  • NorwegianBlue
    peejay78 wrote:
    every old horizontal drop road bike is advertised as 'fixed track pista conversion'. it's lame.

What I find really odd is the people who advertise things as proper track bikes when surely nobody would be fooled. There was one fairly recently where a guy was selling what he claimed to be his old track bike that had only seen track use. The first thing I noticed about it was the QR equipped front wheel, which I didn't think was track legal. The more I looked at it the less I thought it looked like a track bike. I can only assume that he was trying to upsell (as they say in weasel land) a perfectly ordinary converted road bike.
  • graham_g
    peejay78 wrote:
    i'm moving in august to bristol. i have 4 fixed wheel bikes. that should help.

Give us a shout when you get here if you fancy a jar or two - bring all four bikes (anything around a 22" for me to test ride? :D).
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Give it a couple of years and there'll be an awful lot of cheap fixed parts for sale once they've moved on to the next fashion.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Graham / PeeJay

There is a healthy fixed culture in Bristol, a nice mix of vintage path, track and more modern Pista bikes and you'll love the hills.................
    www.fixedbristol.org.uk
  • meagain
    And even SILLIER - "flying scot, fixed wheel, pista" on th'bay. Just add "take" after the last word.

And such an informative advert.....
    d.j.