Is it worth it??

Skindog
Skindog Posts: 26
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Only had my new bike a couple of weeks and start a new job on monday after 15 fcuking months on the job club..

Dunno if the bug has hit, but already thinking about upgrading a couple of bits on my bike. Thinking of changing bog standard brakes to dura ace/Ultegra or 105 to go with the rest of the groupset and maybe the the front front chainring also..

Question is, is it worth it or is it money down the drain.. Seen a few good deals going on fleaBay well below the RRP...

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Depends on whether the current brakes work OK really IMHO! Ditto the cranks/rings - tho' I'll grant that aesthetics more important than for the brakes!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I honestly think you are the only one who can answer that question. I am the type of biker who doesn't upgrade anything. If the brakes work OK, they are OK.

Of course many people think differently to me, that is good for them too.
  • Skindog
    TBH I think the brakes are pants, dunno if they are run in or not - only done 130 miles on it, but i'm certainly not impressed with them. Must admit all the rest of the bike is spot on in my eyes..
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    What are the current brakes/levers....? If the current brakes are 'pants' you might find that a pad change will help...
  • Skindog
    Mog Uk wrote:
    What are the current brakes/levers....? If the current brakes are 'pants' you might find that a pad change will help...

Brakes: Dual Pivot - all that's said, no name, nothing...

Levers = 105
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Difficult to say then, just pads might help. Although I have to admit that 105 brakes/calipers are very capable and have serious stopping power....
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Possibly worth upgrading the brakes - my Bianchi had Veloce levers and Bianchi branded callipers. Stopping power wasn't great - acry in the wet - upgraded the callipers to Centaur, a massive improvement.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I'd leave the levers be and replace the brake pads. I found the 105 brake pads pretty good in both wet and dry, I've worn them out and replaced with Kool stop pads which seem to work OK, but dont have IMHO the same intial bite that the 105 pads did.

I'd agree with the poster above 105 calipers have some serious stopping power, I'd imagine ham fisted brake application would put me over the bars no problem.

Personally in your situation I'd save your money and ride it for a bit more and see how you get on, if your going to spend money on it, then spend it on the wheels IMHO as thats where you'll get the greatest benefit.

Depends what wheels you have though..
  • Skindog
    Thanks for the tips...

Wheels are Shimano WHR500
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    those are pretty decent wheels, personally I'd leave your bike alone and just enjoy riding it 8) and save your money for decent upgrades as the parts wear out that you have.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I got 105 brakes and TBH they are like hitting a brick wall. Try the pads first as they might be a cheap fix if it works, if not then think about new calipers. You have to work it out for yourself though as one mans idea of good braking is different ot anothers.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    If the brakes are the part you're unhappy with, then it makes sense to make changes there, but I'd leave the rest alone if it works OK and it's not worn out (which it obviously isn't). I really want to upgrade my whole groupset to 105 (I currently have a mixture of Tiagra and Sora), but I'm not going to do it until parts start wearing out. To do it earlier would seem like wasted money to me.