Bike Lube

heathrow86
heathrow86 Posts: 228
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I have noticed my rear cassette and chain are looking abit mucky, can anybody recommend something to clean them with.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wd40 works here, I just clean it with some soapy water and a tooth brush, then spray wd40 oil on and then get a cloth and turn the pedals and run the chain through the cloth and the chain starts to get all shiney again :D, I use this method for the cassette too.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Don't use WD40 - it displaces water, but does not lubricate. I use Finish Line Pro Gold, seems to work well.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I clean mine with a drop of parafin and an old toothbrush, then I lube it properly with Pro Link chain lube.

As said above, WD40 is not a lubricant its a Water Dispersant. Its best to use proper chain lube IMHO.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fizz wrote:
    I clean mine with a drop of parafin and an old toothbrush, then I lube it properly with Pro Link chain lube.

As said above, WD40 is not a lubricant its a Water Dispersant. Its best to use proper chain lube IMHO.

For cleaning the chain and the other bits I dont see a problem as long as you get it off and then lube it with some propor stuff.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    fizz wrote:

For cleaning the chain and the other bits I dont see a problem as long as you get it off and then lube it with some propor stuff.

You're original post said you lubed the chain with it though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I'm a white spirit man myself, and as above followed by Pro Link, never WD40, sorry Will
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    thing is for a chain cleaner WD40 is expensive and unless I've read your post incorrectly Willhub then it looks like you are advocating using WD40 as a lube and its really not the right product for that.

Parafin is cheap in comparision If you go to B & Q and buy some greenhouse heater fuel which is parafin in disguise you can get 5 litre tub for £3 or £4 which is much much much cheaper than buying tins of WD40 only to spray it on your chain and then clean it off again. 5 litres of parafin lasts for ages to so it apeals to my skinflint nature !
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I would recommend Finish Line. I used to use Weldtite and I my chain was always mucky, I needed to clean my chain twice a week. Now, with the Finish Line lube I can go 200 miles before I need to clean the chain.

As for cleaning I remove the chain ( power Links) l leave the chain in white spirit while I clean the rest of the bike, I use hot water in a milk container to finish cleaning the chain. Put the chain back on, use a clean cloth to dry the chain, use GT85 on the drivetrain, use dry cloth again, and finally lube it with Finish Line.

Rick
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Don't use WD40 - it displaces water, but does not lubricate. I use Finish Line Pro Gold, seems to work well.

I use Pro Gold too but it goes black almost immediately and leaves spattermarks all over the chainstays. My club buddies' transmissions are by contrast clean and shiny.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Muc Off in one of those cheap chain cleaner machine thingies gets everthing nice and clean quickly without even having to take the wheel off and Finish Line to lubricate when it's dry.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Muc Off in one of those cheap chain cleaner machine thingies gets everthing nice and clean quickly without even having to take the wheel off and Finish Line to lubricate when it's dry.

I've got one and they're rubbish, degreaser goes everywhere. Just wipe the chain with a rag after ride to get rid of the black crap, and occasionally take the chain off the bike submerge it in degreaser and lube it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr