How do you avoid the cyclist tan lines?

AssOs
AssOs Posts: 72
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I tan very easily and over the last few years whilst swimming on holiday i always get funny looks and even people pointing to my very dark tanned arms, legs and face but white torso and feet! It does look pretty bad TBH. :oops:

How can you avoid those tan lines without going out in the hot sun with arm and leg warmers.

I've never used sun tan lotion but once did try it but it went all sticky and felt horrible once i started to sweat.

My G/F reckons a sun tan lotion of factor 60 will do the job but down at boots the assistant wasnt 100% it would do the job.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well I'm fair and don't tan easily but even I use 50 factor, so maybe you should pursue with the sun tan lotion. Get a good one and rub in it thoroughly.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    You could, of course, try cycling naked.

(and you really should use sun lotion. This is not a helmet/non-helmet debate: sun lotion WILL help prevent melanomas)
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    Don't avoid the tan lines. Wear them with pride! You're a roadie.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    The definition of your tan lines is a direct indication of how much training you've put in :twisted:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I totally agree! ridiculous banding on arms and legs coupled with chin strap tan lines is a true indication of your dedication to the sport and how much time you spend on the bike!

Gats
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I'm also of the 'wear them with pride' school! I never sun bathe as such so all my tanning is mostly as a result of cycling. As I wear sandals a lot I get patterns on my feet as well.

I don't burn easily (I had very dark hair before old-age changed it to grey) and tend to go slightly red before turning brown. I use sun tan lotion sparingly as I hate the stuff running into my eyes when I sweat.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Another wear-them-with-pride advocate. I've had some ridiculous tan lines: arms, legs, ankles, glasses, chinstrap, and my pièce de resistance... brown mysterons on my shiny pate from the holes in my lid.

I take the view that I don't have to look at them; they're other people's problem!

I burn very easily, but if I build up my exposure to the sun, I don't really need sun block. Saying that, factor 12 usually is enough to do the trick.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Go to a tanning salon and lie on the sunbed wearing only arm and leg warmers. Your tan will soon even out.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I also tan very easily and didn't waer cream, and got skin cancer!! :(
    WEAR SUN CREAM !!!

As for the tan lines, as has been said other than cycling naked I,m afraid they are part and parcel of cycllng
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Do all your riding indoors??? Damn I hate indoor riding. Sorry, just had to let it out.

Dennis Noward
  • AssOs
    I can understand the pride you get with having a cyclist tan among cyclist but it's a totally different reaction you get from non cyclists which I'm trying to avoid.

Did someone mention going out in just arm and leg warmers?LOL

Anyway. I've just bought a bottle of suntan lotion of spf 50.
  • Who cares what non-cyclists think? Who cares what _anybody_ else thinks, come to that?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Who cares what non-cyclists think? Who cares what _anybody_ else thinks, come to that?

Absolutely! I'd hoped that the attitude of 'what will the neighbours think?' was finally discarded 40 years ago but it seems youngsters worry too much about what's 'trendy' or acceptable by their peers for their appearance.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    after all, if we cared two hoots about what anyone else thought, we'd hardly be able to go out wearing absurd lycra outfits and shaving our legs!
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I don't shave my legs but I do embrace the tan lines. Not much else you can do really unless you want to go down the sunbed/fake tan route.
  • Skindog
    Skindog Posts: 26
    Dunno about anyone else, but i just ride with shorts, shoes and helmet, nothing else...
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Well, I'm a ginge and as such, have no first-hand experience of a tan :(
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I remember when I went on a lads holiday - I looked stoopid with my cycling tan lines - did I care - nope.... didn't go after two weeks, as the tanned bits were darker than the non tanned bits.

I'm no big sun person me, usually keep out of it - road bike I wear longs, MTB shorts (hairy legs) and even on the beech, like to have a t-shirt on.
  • AssOs
    Well just got back after 2 hours ride in the sun from midday.

Even with copious amount of spf 50 I still got the tanned lines. Not red but tanned.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    .As I wear sandals a lot I get patterns on my feet as well.

Geoff
    Now I know who you are, saw the sandles. Said hello this morning as you rode past the Hurt Arms.
  • Nuggs wrote:
    Well, I'm a ginge and as such, have no first-hand experience of a tan :(

Yes indeedy. All you folks who complain about your tan lines should at least be thankful that you can tan. My skin goes direct from milk-bottle white to lobster red in about two minutes. Since I've already had one malignant skin lump removed, I don't even take chances with the sun these days.