600k advice please

sub55
sub55 Posts: 1,025
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
well in a moment of complete madness , i entered the Bryan Chapman memorial 600k audax. which is on saturday after next . Has anybody got any tips on how i`m going to manage this? starts in chepstow in south wales, goes to anglsey via aberystwyth and then back to chepstow via england. how long do you think i ought to allow to get round in one piece?
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    How long should you allow? -- All weekend :D

Closing time at the finish will be at about 10pm Sunday. I would expect the bulk of the riders to finish between 4pm and 9:30pm. The faster riders will stop at the YH control at Dolgellau on the return (~400km) for a few hours sleep. Slower ones will sleep in the hall at Menai, and the slowest won't get the time in hand to allow for much sleep at all.
    I'd suggest that if you get to Menai before 10pm Sat, you should sleep at Dolgellau. After midnight at Menai, sleep there. In between you could do either.

Try not to ride at a faster pace than you could hold a conversation at, and eat at all the controls rather than relying completely on white powder
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    This is where the serious 'daxers hang out if you want more advice:
    http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSE ... board=17.0

..............not saying that Andrew's advice isn't sound, but there's more mega-mile-munchers on the YACF I think than here
  • bobajobrob
    bobajobrob Posts: 212
    Some good advice there from andrew_s. I rode it for the first time last year. Got to Menai at about 8.30 then Dolgellau at around 1am. Slept for four hours then left at 5am, and got back to Chepstow around 6pm. I expect to be going slower this year as I'm in worse shape.