EDIT: Rear wheel stiff, can't back pedal.freewheel?

jimjon
jimjon Posts: 42
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
hi people, i don't know much about bikes but got one lastnight..

but while riding it home i noticed the chain kept slipping, would pedal fine, but when i stopped pedalling then started again the chain wasn't doing anything, it was dark so i couldn't reallly see what was going on, i guess i need to adjust something

also the front brake is stiff, the disc brake only just fitted inbetween the pads, someone said something about brake being pulled without the wheel on?

thanks.

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    OK for the brake its easy,

pop the wheel out, and you can use a flat bladed screw driver with some kitchen paper over it, slide this between the pads and push them back into the pistons gently, should solve that!

As for the slipping best wait for NIc, if you could give some more details if the chain is slipping on the cogs or what, as it could be the free wheel, or normal groupset wear
  • jimjon
    thanks for that, will try that tonight

i'm not sure whats going on with the chains, sounds a bit creeky too, when i bought it the rear derilla bit wasn't fixed on, i had to bolt that on.

i couldn't tell where it was slipping, hopefully i can give more detail tonight when i get home from work.

cheers
  • Thewaylander
    yeh post a picture if you can Nic likes that
  • jimjon
    btw are you at newport in essex or wales?
  • Thewaylander
    wales, bout 10-15 minutes from cwm carn, heading up there tonight.
  • jimjon
    are there any type of guides or explanations or how all the gears work, and the brakes, i really am lost, i don't even know what the gear shifters do yet...which way is up a gear (faster, more effort) and which is slower
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    yeh post a picture if you can Nic likes that

Oh... and have a read of ParkTools... Nic likes that as well :wink:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/index.asp
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • jimjon
    thats a brilliant link!!

very useful to me, like i say a real beginner
  • jimjon
    right, i have been tinkering and i found that the problem is i can't pedal backward or free wheel, the chain kinda bunching up and the rear derilla thing bends with the chain.

if i slacken off the quick release thing on the wheel hub its ok, but wheel will fall off

i can only put it down to this bit, which is stiff to turn while your holding the gears

DSC00720.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the freehub mechanism has died.
  • jimjon
    i just looked at a guide on the hope site about rebuilding it, could it be the bearing are knackered, or would it be because the bike has just sat in a garage for a while?
  • supersonic
    What is the hub? Yes, Hope can be rebuilt - may need new bearings though.
  • jimjon
    what do you mean what is the hub, its a hope hub but not sure on model.

from reading more stuff online it sounds like it could be a cassette, something to do with freewheeling? is that part of the hub? what type would i have? its just too stiff when you tighten the wheel up, is fine with quick release lever left slack but the wheel could wobble about or even fall off, so daren't ride it
  • supersonic
    What model hub? Once you know that, you can download the correct guide to stripping the hub.

The cassette slides on the the freehub mechanism (on hope called a rotor body) which contains the pawls and clutch mechanism for the 'freewheel', and a set (or usually 2) cartridge bearings. You need to remove the cassette, the rotor body and service it, maybe replacing bearings. The bearings have no adjustment as they are radial cartidge bearings which press fit.
  • jimjon
    the hub is a hope XC, its strange that it only does it when wheel it tight, i really can't figure it out, everything feels smooth and fine until you tighten wheel up
  • jimjon
    i now understand stand what is meant by the free hub, it seems this is my problem :(

really gutted, was hoping to be out on bike by now, but looks like i need someone to fix it
  • supersonic
    They are straight forward (ish!) to strip, just have to keep an eye on the order of all the parts!
  • jimjon
    is it common for this to break, the bike isn't that old and hardly used? seems to work fine when wheel is off bike, works fine with wheel on, but as you tighten the wheel to the frame the cogs get stiffer then won't turn?

how do i know what to order etc and where from? i guess i need tools too.....lol this is going to be another expensive hobby i can see
  • supersonic
    It's hard to say - but I'd always start with a complete strip down and service. If in doubt, contact Hope, they have good customer service.
  • jimjon
    update time

ordered all the tools on internet last night, couldn't wait so got up this morning and went to bike shop and bought them there. So i know have two sets lol

took wheel with me, bloke in shop said it felt alright, i mentioned it only happened when i tightened wheel up and he said he had the same thing with his hope hubs after taking them apart and missing a spacer out when he put them back together.

got home and started taken bits apart and only got this far but this rachet seems buggered!!! the springs were chewed up and all over the place, here's a pic, i stopped taking it apart now until i know what i'm looking at in the hub part, going to fetch the diagram in a min

DSC00727.jpg
    DSC00726.jpg

i circled the pawls and springs
  • supersonic
    You can order fresh springs and pawls - infact Hope recommend you change them with each service. Definitely a mess in there! Needs a very good clean, the new parts, and fresh grease. Check the cartridge bearings are smooth too - just spin them.
  • jimjon
    none of it feels smooth now, i think i need a new freehub with all the bits inside it and the springs, pawls, and also the hub bit of wheel rebuilt with new bearings and seals etc

just gotta find someone to do it, i had a go at getting bearings out of the freehub and they were stuck solid, same as the ones on hub where you hit the shaft
  • I am also a relative novice on bike mechanics (sorry).

On my Specialized Roubaix DI2 I removed the rear wheel (for practice). When I replaced it all seemed fine, until I realised that it will now not freewheel. What am I doing wrong??

Thank you !

(Bike spec is here https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/rouba ... 084-128894)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    Congratulations on reviving a thread that is more than ten years old!

As a recent new member, it took me a while too to get into the habit of checking that date of the post I was responding to, so don't fret yourself.

I am not familiar with that particular bike (or even road bikes, full stop!), but I'd remove the rear wheel again and replace it once more taking particular care to check that the axle is in the correct place in the dropouts on both sides, that the skewer or axle is not too tight. Anything else would require me to be more specific than I have knowledge of the bike - so I'll stop there.

I must say that that your reported fault has never happened to me, and I've had several freewheels fail on me. But they usually just stop driving or maybe become intermittent first before failing totally.