3rd party insurance

musto_skiff
musto_skiff Posts: 394
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Do I need it (well of course I do ...) ...

What happens if I hit a pedestrian or a car and it's deemed to be my fault?

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Cycle Touring Club, British Cycling and now Everyday Cycling (part of BC) all offer 3rd party cover. The first 2 around £35/year for membership, the last one is slightly cheaper I think.

I'd go with CTC or EC if you just do general riding, BC if you may do any races later this year.
  • musto_skiff
    I will do some time trials & sportives; which one would be best?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    BC only covers bunch racing really, so makes no odds. Have a look at the various websites to see what else your membership gives you.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i wouldn't bother - you have no reg. plate on your back - try not to worry about it and just leg it.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The British Cycling insurance is pretty comprehensive. A group of us was out the other week. A gust of wind knocked one guy sideways into a parked car. Smashed the wing mirrorand put a dent in the side of the car. He was taken off in an ambulance.

British Cycling covered the full cost of repairs to the car without any questions.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... e_home.asp
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    I would think that the chances of you hitting someone are pretty slim, I didn't even know you could get insured for it.
  • musto_skiff
    I have experience of running down pedestrians as I gave a guy a good seeing too in London on my motorbike ... nothing I could do he just stepped out from behind a bus, it could just as easily have been a cyclist that hit him (would hav ebeen better for him :? )

I have noticed that people often step out in front of cyclist because either they don't hear us or they think we are going very slow and won't hit them; tossers...

I think I'll go with the BC one; thanks for the input ...
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Check out other insurances, I have two million pounds worth of 3rd party liability insurance on my house contents, I also have some with my bank account.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    BC is primarily concerned with cycle sport.

For the non-competitive cyclist the CTC offers a better deal IMO. It is the organisation that represents cyclists interests to the government of the day. Without the efforts of the CTC on our behalf, the use of a cycle path where available would be virtually compulsory if the wording proposed by the government had remained in the new edition of the Highway Code. That's just a recent example.

I think all serious sports/touring cyclists should seriously consider membership of the CTC. 3rd party insurance is just one advantage.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster