Anyone else been unfaithful...?

wastelander
wastelander Posts: 557
edited May 2008 in The bottom bracket
...to their road bikes recently? I tried explaining my hankering for something different, something dirty to my road bikes and think that they took it well (after all - they do get shared a fair bit already!) but I guess only time will tell. I felt a bit guilty as I took the Enduro off of the wall and fettled it in full view of the Somec but as soon as I hit the trails all I felt was unbridled pleasure as I belted along the dried out trails, getting splattered with drying mud and bouncing on the saddle for all I was worth!!!

Anyone else feel like cheating on your best ride :wink: ?

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I cheated recently WITH my best ride. I went off on a business trip and stowed the Roubaix away in the boot, along with a pannier full of lycras, shoes and gadgets.

Under these circumstances, most men of my age might be tempted to take their fit and willing secretary with them to a hotel for a couple of nights; I took my bike. Why?

1. I lack imagination
    2. I don't have a secretary
    3. Mrs Pneumatic would be sad (and very cross)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Sorry to admit that I too have recently been unfaithful. :(
    A Sunday morning bit of fun in the woods.
    Suffice to say, it all ended up in tears. When I returned and rode my dear old-faithful again we had a bit of a disagreement and a sudden parting. And I ended up with a nasty rash :oops:
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I have an open relationship with my best ride and my mountain bike, they both know about each other and approve...but they both hate my commuting hybrid...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    You guys are too constrained by social conventions. I've got an open relationship and it works very well, I'm about to swap back my brother-in-laws fancy Italian bit of stuff for a British girl next door type, less of a status symbol but very accommodating and up for anything apparently!
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    ...to their road bikes recently? I tried explaining my hankering for something different, something dirty to my road bikes and think that they took it well (after all - they do get shared a fair bit already!) but I guess only time will tell. I felt a bit guilty as I took the Enduro off of the wall and fettled it in full view of the Somec but as soon as I hit the trails all I felt was unbridled pleasure as I belted along the dried out trails, getting splattered with drying mud and bouncing on the saddle for all I was worth!!!

Anyone else feel like cheating on your best ride :wink: ?

I'm equally happy whether on my road bike or my 'cross bike....I was never confused! :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I have two Taiwanese and a good 'ol American on the go at the min. One's a bit cheap and likes it hard, one's high maintenance and enjoys a bit of rough and the other's a challenging ride but gets me there quicker (and VERY dirty at the min!)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Trouble with my road bike is she's so flippin' demanding - always getting the disaproving "You don't ride me enough to be any good, you wuss" kinda vibe.

My MTB on the other hand is much more chilled and happy to recreate some of the high old times we used to have on a more leisurely basis these days.

Mind you, she's ugly as sin, so probably glad for any attention she does get :wink:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I took my fancy bit to Snowdonia for the weekend last week. There were plenty of ups and downs, it was bumpy. I felt hot, dirty, wet and thirsty, but I defo want more.

Ached like mad the next day though, it was one hell of a ride!!
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    The Missus would saw my bikes up :shock: :wink:
    bagpuss
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    i have a wonderful threesome going on with my girlies at the moment - one gets ridden during the week, and one at the weekend....bliss
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It's best that the bike and the roller-skis remain oblivious of each other's existence.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I cheat once a week, but only with my son in attendance.

She's cool with that - she understands a man's mind sometimes wanders and needs the thrill of something just a little dirty to keep him interested and alive. But not too dirty of course - that'd just be wrong and if I spend too much time fiddling with the other woman, I can feel her steely (or aluminium in fact) eyes boring into me from the garage ceiling.

Besides, my son hasn't got a road bike (yet 8) ).
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    I've been completely faithful, you should all be ashamed of yourselves :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I'm always on the look out for an upgrade - I just love flicking through magazines and fantasising about what I could get my hands on next. Of course, most of what's on show is way out of my league but still it's nice to look.
    I don't look after my old rides very well though - my still dirty ex is now locked in the garage (and I haven't sat on that since march 30th). Dirty Ex hasn't met my new racy number as yet - racy gets to sleep in the bedroom and hasn't set foot in the garage.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I'm strictly faithful at the moment. Me and my Italian lady have never had it so good. It's been over a year and things are great. In November we both felt we were ready for clipless and made the step up - just happened naturally, and it's not been a burden. We don't even really need to say much to each other these days, just drift along enjoying each others company.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I'm thinking of digging a cellar to lock my ex in – that'll keep it nice and secure, away from the prying hands of the local shed-breaking ner-do-wells that I sense are everywhere.

I could even set up a turbo trainer down there, give it a spin now and again...
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Sounds a bit "Joseph Fritzel" to me ric :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm using my winter/audax bike to commute on at the moment rather than my "commuting bike", does that count?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Problem is for me, it's not just the one mistress :oops:

- I have a relationship with the dirty one I mentioned before
    - then there's the stunner - a real head-turner and a fast, furious ride (but sometimes she leaves me a little sore, ahem, down there)
    - then there's the slim, slight one - but she's only interested in one thing and is impractical for an everyday relationship - I only see her Friday nights now
    - then the slightly ugly one - bit bulky and heavy - but she's really practical and doesn't mind the cold and wet when we're at it outdoors in the winter
    - no. 5 (God, upto 5 already) - similar character to number 4 - rough and ready for all weather action - but she's a bit quirky (no freewheel you see) and she gives me sore legs
    - no. 6 - well she's a bit sulky since my new true love came along last May. She hangs around the garage and every now and then we'll get hot and sweaty together ......... in the garage :oops:
    - finally, well I'm ashamed to admit it - no. 7 now lives in my shed covered in old gardening junk. :x She's a bit slow these days, and very heavy - but she's a tough old boot and I hope she'll still have feelings for me if I give the chance of a week away together this summer. She'll have to carry all the luggage though.

So there you have it. My conscience is now clean. :shock:
  • shane p
    shane p Posts: 5
    My better half has known about my svelte affair all along and tolerates it in return for a very liberal cheeky go herself every now and then. She much prefers it in fact to her own usual extra partner and seems to go much better for some reason. Last weekend, she was pleased with getting to the end quicker with so little extra effort!

I have to settle for sneaking out for a hard and fast quicky during the week now that my bit of stuff mysteriously seems to be occupied at weekends.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Three on the go here - very taxing......

MTB commuter is the weekday ride,

Then the local lass Ribble comes out when the weather is nice for a 'too' fast ride into work then a long ride back home....
    :shock:

Then the 'babe' is let out at weekends - Italian breeding(columbus tubes), fettled in dear old Stockport (local builder), but has the best of Japan's bling on her - unfortunately she's called Frank ? :roll:
  • maddmatt
    maddmatt Posts: 166
    Think three is bad, try four bikes that are maintainance! And try and explain why your looking for yet another one! Its a cruel world!
  • windbreaker
    windbreaker Posts: 91
    My ten year old CAD2 Cannondale has been very jealous of my £200 Edinburgh Courier which had been providing for my basic needs. However the courier’s parts were grinding (and not in a good way) and I’ve dropped her. The CAD2 was totally miffed that my long- abandoned Dawes Galaxy has been used most days. The CAD2 only gets a ride on Saturdays, and only if I’ve get nothing better to do. I did take her out last Wednesday and she took me all the way faster than ever before. But my new bargain Aldi shorts left me with a nasty sore boil..

Jekyll got excited when I suggested taking her off the wall and putting the road wheels on. Tease that I am I’ve not followed through. I’ve threatened to get off at Haymarket on my occasional train trips home, but when I take the train home it’s usually because it’s raining and me and the bike are usually already wet and dirty.

The Dawes has mudguards and whilst protection is practical I think I really like the feel of wet legs.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    popette wrote:
    I'm always on the look out for an upgrade - I just love flicking through magazines and fantasising about what I could get my hands on next. Of course, most of what's on show is way out of my league but still it's nice to look.
    I don't look after my old rides very well though - my still dirty ex is now locked in the garage (and I haven't sat on that since march 30th). Dirty Ex hasn't met my new racy number as yet - racy gets to sleep in the bedroom and hasn't set foot in the garage.

There is no room in my garage.......... :?:
    bagpuss
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    I previously practiced auto-asphyxiation with an orange before I cleaned up my act.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Completely and utterly monogamous at the moment, Bugger! ! Athough my little Merida loves the extra attention shes been getting.
    Coerced into selling my beloved epic (dirty little worn out beaver she was) by an article in a mens magazine (mbuk) I have been now waiting over two months for her hardtailed little sister to arrive. Must be some problem with immigration though as shes been on backorder for over two months.
    Hope shes as pretty as her picture on the net :twisted:
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    I have one very dirty little number for the weekends, I usually take her into the woods and jump her senseless. Then I return to my more regular squeeze for the more mundane and practical parts of life.

The sleep together every night though so it's quite a complex relationship.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    I also flaunt my affections between several ladies but the Italian is still No.1 in my heart, however the 'BIG' Taiwanese is getting very possessive lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    i been having out hours fun on my bmx my bianchi was well pi**ed but i dont care it was good dirty fun!!! :twisted:
    cheesy quaver
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Whenever I go and ride another bike, I come back to my "dream bike", and something always plays up with her... like she says "that'll serve you for riding another bike, b*stard"... it's uncanny. :lol: