Newby seeking advice on guarantee

wils2179
wils2179 Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Firstly hello to everyone!

I am after some advice.

Last night when out and about, noticed a strange creaking noise from the pedal area but after a quick stop nothing could be seen. Then, around 2miles further down the track, I noticed the pedal felt all of a sudden very wonky. When I stopped the pedal was no longer screwed straight to the pedal arm (excuse my non technical phrasing!!!!) and was in crooked. I attempted to unscrew the pedal but it wouldn't budge and eventually when it decided to move, destroyed the threads on the inside of the pedal arm.

Now on a 3 month old bike (Specialized Rockhopper '08 ) I am pretty sure that this type of thing is not the norm.

Should this be covered by the guarantee as after having a quick look at prices, its not simply a cheap fix? Thought I'd get some advice before I pursued this any further.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Who fitted the pedals?

did the bike go back for its 6 week service/check over?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wils2179
    wils2179 Posts: 3
    The pedal's were fitted by my dad as he was in when the bike was delivered and offered to do the pedals and handle bars when the bike arrived. As you've probably guessed, the bike was ordered on the net. Does it sound like the pedals have been put on incorrectly? Eventhough I have done about 150 trouble free miles?

On the servicing question, I will be getting a service done very soon as I was advised by other riders to get one done after the first 100-200 miles although not where I bought the bike, from another local bike shop which is a lot closer than where the bike came from.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    did he definitely put the pedals on the correct sides?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Contact the shop by all means, but its a situation where who caused the problem cannot be proven. Pedals don't fall off when torqued correctly, and you usually get a warning sign first if they do, limiting damage.