Rattling Spokes

lochindaal
lochindaal Posts: 475
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I am riding a Specialized Allez which I bought about 2 months ago. Having noticed a rattling on the back wheel I've discovered that two spokes are just touching together. None of the others do this. It feels like one of the spokes is slightly loose.

Is this a serious failure that I should be getting sorted under warranty or is there a simple fix I can do myself.

I bought the bike over the web from a bike shop so any warranty fixes will no doubt take time.

Comments

• ndodd
    ndodd Posts: 54
    take it to local shop few mins to tighten them up prob wont even charge you
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    if you dont want to take it into the bike shop, then just go in and buy a (think its called) spoke key.

Like a little round piece of metal with slits in it. One of these slits will fit perfectly at the top of your spoke where it goes into the wheel. I forget if you turn it clockwise or anticlockwise to tighten the spoke. Just try not to untighten it too much and pop your inner tube!.

If you do not want to buy a spoke key then you could just try tightening it with some pliers, but ensure you twist the correct part. I would still recommend getting the proper key.

Hope this helps
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it not normal for spokes to touch? especially when crossing each other? most of them do on my bike.
  • webbhost
    I was thinking that too...

If its a "rattling" noise.... is it really very likely to be your spokes?

Sounds more likely to be something regarding your casette / hub / rear mech??
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My front wheel rattled when I am off the saddle as I am putting more weight on it, but when I push round the hub or whatever it is inbetween the pedals rattle on my bike. Took it to halfords to have the rattling stopped in the front wheel and it came back with it still there.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Any wheel built with tangential rather than radial spokes (ie most wheels) has spokes that touch as they cross each other. If they are properly tensioned they won't rattle because they're too tight to do so.

It sounds as if some of your spokes have become loose. Is your wheel still running true?

Conventionally there are nipples at the rim end of the spoke which screw onto a rolled thread. To tighten the spoke they are turned clockwise with a spoke key (NOT a pair of pliers!!!) However wheel building/trueing whilst not very difficult does need a little experience so you may be better taking it to a bike shop who will be able to do it for you.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Standard Alex wheels that some Spec. bikes have are poor. Without being rude but if you are a heavier rider then the flex in the rim when cycling may lead to spokes coming loose. This happened to me and I had to upgrade my wheel. Ask your LBS to tighten the spokes and see how long it lasts. You may need to upgrade at some point.
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Standard Alex wheels that some Spec. bikes have are poor

I've got a Spesh Allez and the only problems i've had have been wheel related. I had loose and broken spokes after a few months. I remember the rattle! Your LBS should be able to sort out any spoke problems if you're not confident (i'm not!). I ended up getting the rear re-spoked with some better spokes (can't remember what though!), no problems since. I've got a multi-tool that has a spoke key - well worth the investment if you want to tighten any spokes yourself.

Hope this helps
    Rich
  • webbhost
    spoke key (NOT a pair of pliers!!!)

Lmao geoff, that made me laugh. Note through I did say that I would still recommend using a spoke key... but my bad there I guess, I did somewhat suggest that he could use one.

Atleast I got the "Spoke Key" bit right lol!
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Thanks for all the advice.

Yes I am heavier than your average cyclist though things are improving :lol:

I think I will take it into the LBS tomorrow. None of the other spokes touch but one of them is noticeably slack.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    webbhost wrote:
    spoke key (NOT a pair of pliers!!!)

Lmao geoff, that made me laugh. Note through I did say that I would still recommend using a spoke key... but my bad there I guess, I did somewhat suggest that he could use one.

Atleast I got the "Spoke Key" bit right lol!

Well, I guess even I might resort to the brutality of a pair of pliers if they were the only tool available and I was stranded with a bent wheel in the middle of nowhere :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster