Rucksack recommendations

CrookedCucumber
CrookedCucumber Posts: 324
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all

I've reluctantly concluded that when I cycle with my kids, I need to carry more stuff that I can fit in a saddlebag. So far I've always kept clear of rucksacks because they make my back sweaty -- bleagh! But I'm not sure what the alternative is. I don't want to fit a rack and trunk to my Tricross, unless I can get a reall, really light one. I think the racks I use on my hack bike are probably heavier than the Tricross :)

Anyhow, I'm looking for a rucksack of about 10l capacity, which won't make my back sweaty. Some vendors claim that their products have vents and whatnots to improve air circulation. Does anybody have any experience of these? Do they work? Any recommendations in general?

Best wishes
CC

Comments

• daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    Deuter make some which bring the rucksack away from the straps to allow air to flow between the rucksack and your back. I use about a 30 litre model for work and its great.
  • have a look at edingburgh cycles range. I've been using them for years and they're pretty good come in a variety of sizes with many good features and pockets. Also have a mech type thing to keep it off your back and allow airflow.

Gats
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I've got a karimoor which has an airflow channel down the back - it does the job but nothing's going to be totally sweatfree if its on your back on a hot day.

Trouble is the kids again - if they see dad with a rucksack they'll fill it with stuff - why don't you get them each a small saddlebag?
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I have a Deuter Race X. Think it is 12L capacity. I have been very pleased with it. My back gets a bit sweaty, but nothing too bad. As long as you have a decent top that wicks the sweat away then you should be OK.

Oh, and I have been pleasently surprised how stable it is.
  • Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    +1 for Edinburgh Cycles bags. I have the stow sport for commuting and longer days out - it expands for extra capacity and has a bunch of cool features. Tough, reflective and with a mesh layer to hold it off your back.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I'm a great believer in making the bike carry the weight. Other than for very short rides I never carry anything on my back.

I don't know what you mean by saddlebag but many people do extended tours using (say) a Carradice Camper Longflap. I used one (actually 2 - I wore one out!) for commuting for many years. If you have a carrier rack then a rack pack or even a couple of small panniers is infinitely preferable to carrying a rucksack.

We use rackpacks for just about all our cycling as we like to take a packed lunch and how would I have carried my Guardian or the trainers and 3/4 longs I bought at the New Balance factory shop in Shap last weekend? :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Does the Carradice not bump your legs when pedalling? Does it just dangle from the saddle rails, or is there some kind of bracket for it?

I have a `real' rack and panniers on my hack bike, which I use all the time for shopping. I don't know why, but I just feel uncomfortable putting heavy luggage-carrying stuff on my Tricross. Of course, as you say, having it on my back doesn't make it any lighter.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Does the Carradice not bump your legs when pedalling? Does it just dangle from the saddle rails, or is there some kind of bracket for it?

I have a `real' rack and panniers on my hack bike, which I use all the time for shopping. I don't know why, but I just feel uncomfortable putting heavy luggage-carrying stuff on my Tricross. Of course, as you say, having it on my back doesn't make it any lighter.

It doesn't if you use a support bracket underneath it. I always used (and still do) a Brooks B17 with saddlebag loops and there used to be a quick release support available from IIRC Carradice. However I used a quick release made by a Mr Lord who used to sell them at York Rally; it was very 'cottage industry' but was still very nicely made and worked beautifully. You do need a pannier rack or similar underneath it.

I could take my saddlebag off when I got to work in no more time than it took to pick it up.

Only this weekend I saw a seat pin fitting rack with an associated rack pack on a racing bike on the camp site in Dufton. It seemed to work well, though I felt it was a bit high up.

In any case I would urge you to look at alternatives to a rucksack - especially in Summer. I carry a rucksack when walking and invariably get a damp patch on my back, even in Winter.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I was going to suggest a Carradice saddle bag too.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    +1 for Edinburgh Bicycle's bags. I've been using them for years. Exactly the same bags as the Deuter range but in better colours and £10 cheaper. The airflow thing on the back does help but with any rucksack, whether vented or not, you're going to be sweatier than without. Doesn't worry me too much cause I'm a sweaty git anyway.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Agree with George above, Carradice do a great range of saddle bags. A great alternative to racks and panniers for short tours too.
    Other possibility is handlebar bag, in combination with a saddle bag.
  • Thanks for the advice, folks. I appreciate it very much.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Deuter Race X-Air - it has mesh straps and a suspended mesh back so probably the least sweatiest option - i've had one for 6 years and can attest to its non-sweaty comfort for both biking and running. If your bike has a carbon seatpost, best not use anything that clamps to it, or change to an ally one.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Deuter Race X-Air - it has mesh straps and a suspended mesh back so probably the least sweatiest option - i've had one for 6 years and can attest to its non-sweaty comfort for both biking and running. If your bike has a carbon seatpost, best not use anything that clamps to it, or change to an ally one.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    gd-asset_11617425.jpg

This is from Decathlon, has a ventilation channel, I have this and it is excellent. It's from Decathlon.

My Son has a Nike Core AIr Max back pack which is even better, the whole back panel is a woven mesh which keeps the bag off your back and allows air to flow.
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    Has anyone mentioned the Tubus Fly rack yet? It's very minimal and light weight. Plus with a "We'll replace it anywhere in the world" style guarantee it ought to be well made.

As for backpacks, I can testify that the Berghaus Freeflow bags will keep backs as sweat free as possible. But they don't really go small enough for cycling and do act a bit like a parachute. http://www.berghaus.com/technologies/ru ... lowIV.aspx

Does anyone have experience of the Berghaus Mach 7? It looks like just the thing for a small cycling backpack. http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails. ... 244&Gear=2

Cheers,

Ed