New to MTB and getting punctures Please help!

mike48
mike48 Posts: 10
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello all bit new to this and I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I bought a Carrera Kraken XS about 3 months ago and I have had nothing but trouble with punctures (mainly on the rear wheel). I am cycling on the road during the week and off road on the weekend and the punctures I get are on the inner side of the tube and appear to be like small tears in the rubber. The wheels are eyelitted (?) and I am pretty sure I am not catching the tube when I put the tyre back on but its as if they dont fit the wheel. I am debating to either change the wheels, but thats more expense, or the tyres and go for something thinner. I am inflating the tyres to 50psi approx when on the road.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers. :D

Comments

• obriends
    obriends Posts: 69
    Hi Mike,

My Father in law brought a Kraken last year and was always getting punctures when I wasn't. I got him to change the tyres and he hasn't had one since. He also uses slime tubes which will also help for the pin prick punctures but add a small amount of weight in the wrong place if you ask me. Therefore, my suggestion would be to change the tyres as the wheels appear ok to me.

Dave
    Thanks for the reply Dave. I think I will take your advice and invest in some new tyres.

thanks again

Mike
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Does sound like pinch flats, different tyres with a stronger sidewall will definitely help. They usually happen when the tyre pressure is too low, but 50 PSI isn't low so :?:

Definitely easier and cheaper to change the tyres rather than the wheels.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    When you say on the inside, do you mean against the rim? If so check your rim tape
  • mike48
    Hello
    Yes its against the rim and the tape seems fine. When I repair the tube I can see other small tears all in the same sort of position along the tube but they havent yet torn right through. Its really wierd, never seen anything like this on any other bike I have owned. Prob best to take a pic and upoad it I reckon. :?:

cheers
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    batch78 wrote:
    When you say on the inside, do you mean against the rim? If so check your rim tape

Sounds like a very good idea, due to the position of the punctures on the tube. There do seem to be a few halfords bikes with similar issues on this forum.

Rim tape is cheap enough to just give it ago and see what happens?..

Good luck!
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yeh i'd try a good quality rim tape to try it
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    +1 for new rim tape. But upload a piccy if you want could be easier to confirm.
  • I had the same problem when i got my new GT Avalanche last year, i would puncture it every time i was braking hard going fast over the same bit of rocky stuff. (the wife used to take the p1ss a bit when i would keep pushing my bike back home every day).

it was the tyres were not pumped up enough i reckon, but i also used the slime liner things and i;ve never looked back.
  • mike48
    razor snap thats just like i am it always seems to happen 150 yards from home when i jump over last bit of kerb and bit of gravel path. i have bought some puncture resisitant tubes this week and i will see how they go and if still no good then tyres are next