Pacing advice for Tour of Wessex

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
I've signed up for the ToW for this year's "challenge". I'm not too bothered about each day's distance as I'm reasonably experienced at cycling that far in a day. I've also done a few fairly hilly sportives, so am not too bothered about the hills (let's hope that one doesn't come back and bite me!)

But I've never ridden this sort of distance on three consecutive days, hence the challenge. I'd be grateful for any advice about pacing. I don't always cycle with a HRM but will probably do so for this event and wonder what sort of % of max would be good. Another, perhaps less scientific way of thinking about it is that I have averaged about 16.5 mph on hilly sportives of 100 miles or so. How much slower should I be aiming to go on the first couple of days so that I still have some energy in the bank for the final day?

Comments

• reaper2
    reaper2 Posts: 55
    Go at you normal pace but eat lots as fuelling the body for 3 days riding is key. i went too fast early each day last year but recovered in the middle and flew in the end on the last day. cu there
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Yeah just keep eating and get an early night every night. Relax and enjoy it, it's utterly great.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Thanks for that reassurance - I'm really looking forward to it, and strangely dreading it simultaneously.
    I'm also wondering how much porridge and pasta I'm going to be able to eat in 3 days..... :shock:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    It might be good to make sure you have a bit of variety in your food, on and off the bike, as at the end of these long rides I often find it a struggle just to force myself to eat. And I'm someone who normally loves his grub...

For fuelling in the mornings, cans of baked beans or rice pudding are really good and might break the porridge/pasta monotony!
    Le Blaireau (1)