wheel problem or not

flyingfox
flyingfox Posts: 7
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Got my first road bike specialized allez elite and i love it
just got one thing i'm not sure of when i'm standing up going up a hill or sprinting and the bike goes from side to side my front wheel makes a noise like its flexing and the spokes are like flexing too is this normal or do i need to get it looked at. Could it be my wieght I'm 14.5 stone

Thanks

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Get it checked
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    flyingfox wrote:
    Got my first road bike specialized allez elite and i love it
    just got one thing i'm not sure of when i'm standing up going up a hill or sprinting and the bike goes from side to side my front wheel makes a noise like its flexing and the spokes are like flexing too is this normal or do i need to get it looked at. Could it be my wieght I'm 14.5 stone

Thanks

What wheels do you have. The back wheel does flex when put under strain and usually the higher spec wheel you have the less flex. Unless you go for a cheaper wheel but weighs a tonne.

If its an allez then it will be Alex rims with cheap spokes and my first bike was an Allez and it did the same as yours. No need to get in checked out and when you have an spare £120 I would upgrade your wheels to Fulcrum 5s. It would make a huge difference to your allez.
    Brian B.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    as Brian says - cheap std wheels flex and hit the brakeblocks.

the SSR aero's did on my old trek pilot too occasionaly - as did the std wheels on my OCR3 before that.

you could try increasing the gap between the brake blocks / wheel rims - or replace the wheels as mentioned.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    I have a 3 week old Allez Elite and it's completely silent, even when honking up hills out of the saddle, at 17 stone I was expecting something.

I'd get it checked out.