Quick question about pedals.

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Had my first ride up on the common tonight after work, it felt really good.

Loving my Avalanche 1, even with the nobblies on I still climbed a big road hill much easier than I've ever cycled before (except for that electric bike I bought to get me through a summer driving ban a couple of years ago!)

Just one thing I'm not loving - the pedals. They're Wellgo M21's, and my trainers work their way back onto the heels. I can keep them comfortably on the insteps, but not on the balls.

Is this down to the pedals or my riding position or bad technique (or all 3)? :?:

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    try some proper flats with a few more pins, try these you should find them both cheap and a huge improvement.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Did your Avalanche come with those pedals as mine came with Shimano SPD's which I prefer, much better climbing as you don't waste energy by only pushing down on the pedals as you're pulling up with the other foot too.
  • Spatulala
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give em a go.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    You should also try proper cycling shoes, or at least some stiff-soled skate shoes such as Etnies or even Airwalks. Trainers are too soft and flexible to allow you pedal properly and get comfortable.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ride_whenever
    Have you seen the pedals dave? They are not going to be suitable for proper cycling, a decent set of flats that you can ride in soft trainers is 12 quid, new shoes are going to be more than that.
  • Spatulala
    Yes the bike came with the M21s. Does clipless really make it that much easier? Pulling up with your foot must use more energy than letting it rise with the pedal?
  • ride_whenever
    You use more energy,but you are more efficient as you can use different muscles to pull and so you go faster and get less tired because you are being more efficient.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Clipless also ensure your foot is always in the right place on the pedal (assuming you set your cleat position correctly) again maximising efficiency.

This can also be achieved to some extent by good pedals and appropriate shoes, points both dave_hill and ride_whenever make above.

My personal preference is SPDs as I find them very much set up and forget about pedalling, other people do prefer good flats, depends on your what riding style and type of riding.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Spatulala
    try some proper flats with a few more pins, try these you should find them both cheap and a huge improvement.

Great advice thanks, got them this morning and put them on before my first proper ride in the mud which was AWESOME!!!

Some work to do on my fitness, and I need to sort my rear gears out as it skips between 2 gears unless i'm on the smallest or largest cog. Time to get to know my LBS I think.

I quite like my new pedals in yellow as well.