100 mile bike ride... advice???

mentalpatient123
mentalpatient123 Posts: 28
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
hopefully this summer i will take part in a 100 mile road race/ endurance thingy for charity...

It is along B-roads and country lanes between London and Woodbridge.

I have an old racer and i am thinking of getting racing shoes/clipless pedals aswell..

But... what about training and comfort etc.

basically can anyone suggest a 2 month training regime?? I am at school weekdays and have a saturday job 9am-5pm so maybe a few evening rides and one sunday??

also what about the comfort; the saddle type and gloves??

should i have a hard saddle or a medium cushyness?? (is too much padding bad??)
also should i get padded gloves???

overall the trip should be 6-7 hours in the saddle i think, assuming the average speed is about 14-18 Mph so should i drink "special formulas" or plain water???

Please help!!!!! I don't want a ride in a ford transit back from just outside the M25!!!
Mentalpatient by name, and mentalpatient by nature or summat like that!!!

If it ain't broke, Fix it, or faceplant the next jump!!

Comments

• fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    How often are you riding at the moment? What sort of distances?

I live close to you, theres loads of great places to get out and ride, ride, ride!
    exercise.png
  • well i am planning to ride 30miles to Ipswich and back so 60 in total

luckily one of my teachers is riding it and he lives nearby so we might train together

I am also planning to ride to Hadleigh as well which is a similar distance plus there is a good bike shop on the way...

I am planning to work upto 60Miles then 70 80 and so on with about 3-4 weeks in between until the 100mile finale!!!

I just need to know what to take with me, what to wear in late june (shorts and t-shirt)

and most importantly food and nutrition in the fitness bit at the top of the page :)

well time to get out and ride!!!
    Mentalpatient by name, and mentalpatient by nature or summat like that!!!

If it ain't broke, Fix it, or faceplant the next jump!!
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    nutrition is a personal thing, different things work for different people.
    i make sure i have a good breakfast first, i choose between muesli and porridge oats.
    out on the bike all i take are cereal bars and one gel just incase, just remember to eat before you get hungry. same goes with hydration for me, occassional sips instead of waiting for the thirst to come on. i personally dont drink anything special, either plain water or squash of some description.
    as far as what to wear goes i opt for a decent pair of bib shorts and a jersey, i go for Assos because i like the quality and fit. also if theres a chance of rain then a decent waterproof jacket in the jersey pocket is a good idea.
    i rode out from ipswich to sudbury today it was great out there, can't wait to get back out again tomorrow.
    maybe will see you out there on the roads over the weekend.
    exercise.png
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I wouldn't get too hung up on distance once your up to the 70 mile mark.

If you are eventually doing that comfortably and your 100 route DOESN'T have a killer climb in the last 30 you will be fine.
    Plus, if you've never done the distance before that will be the incentive to finish.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    We're all different, but I'd train up to do a comfortable 50 miles, then mabe a 70.

As said above. Doing the 100 in training ruins the incentive!

Decent shorts and you are the best clothes and some fingerless mitts. Get the best you can affort, but Wiggle have a good range and Edinurgh Bicycle Cooperative have some good stuff at a reasonable price and have never let me down.

Clipless and shoes is the way to go, double sided mtb pedals and shoes may suit you better.

The organisers will probably insist everyone is wearing helmets, so if you haven't got one, get one and get used to wearing it!

I always carry a big bag of Skittles in my back pocket, a good energy rush when you need it!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • WRogers
    WRogers Posts: 9
    Sorry forgot the password for the old account

I have a nice aerodynamic road hemet which i always wear without exception

I think double sided cleats would be best and MTB shoes seem to look comfier

skittles, gels and bars seem good ideas.. I know the welsh rugby team have jelly babies at half-time!!! (my teacher plays for the womens team)

I amlooking at a comfy saddle as well so a £30 Brooks B17 isalsoon my list!!!

Time to try shoes on, then ook at comptible pedals

thanks for the help so far

Will
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi,the above is all good advice from forum members, but just one thing before you make any plans. You say you have an old bike? If i were you i would take it to th LBS and let them have a quick look at it, Ask if it,s ok. I too, have an old bike, but i would not want to cycle 100 miles on it.It would be a shame if you make a training programme and follow any diet if your bike is going to let you down. Only thinking of you mate. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    The best advice if you want to enjoy it, is to work up to it. It's a lot of work, but it is of course possible for most people. Don't rush it, keep yourself hydrated all the time, it is critical, hydration not rehydration! Not forgetting food, you will get hungry and you will need to eat. Flapjacks, sweets, gel etc little and oiften works for me.