Bugger

Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Only 100 miles on a Specialized Mondo Pro tyre and it has a 5cm cut in it.... :cry:

Oh well, another 20quid going into the bike.

Comments

• chopper1
    chopper1 Posts: 45
    go for continental tyres!
  • Bianchi Boy
    Bianchi Boy Posts: 323
    chopper1 wrote:

I used Conti GP4000 tyres. They were full cuts after only a few hundred miles :( One cut was so bad that the sidewall was starting to bulge.

I've now gone to Pro Race 3's :D
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    Michelin carbon krylions not good enough or too expensive? just to mention wiggle/ribble/chain reaction cycles wont be having any in stock any time soon.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Had the same problems with Mondo Pro's that everyone else seems to have had, am now running Schwalbe stelvio plus. No cuts or unplanned deflation issues at all, touch wood Can be removed with 1 tyre lever and will go back on with a bit of elbow grease. I cant recommend them highly enough. 8)
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    stop skidding on broken glass bottles.

But seriously, I use Micheline ProRace2 (ProRace3 on sale now) on my bike, and I must say I am impressed with them. Yes I have had punctures but turns out all of them were due to the wheel rims. That problems fixed now and I have had no punctures.

As for slits.... I have 1 or 2 say 3MM Slits in the tyre, however none of these slits have reached it to the other side of the tyre!

Seriously tho how the hell did you get a 5 CM cut in it?? Its not exactly small!!
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    webbhost wrote:
    Seriously tho how the hell did you get a 5 CM cut in it?? Its not exactly small!!

Typo, oops, 5mm.... :roll:

I know I probably shouldn't but have put another 50-60 miles on the tyre, there is no bulge...up to now it has been fine. I'm carrying a spare tyre with me, will replace if becomes a problem, I just can't replace a new tyre with that many miles on it....I know, I know, cheapskate..... :D:D
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    webbhost wrote:

Good point. I didn't catch that the first time around. In any case remind me not to bring my
    bike if I even cross the pond for a visit. It'll cost me to much in tires.

Dennis Noward
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    It is a very good idea to check your tyres carefully and reguarly for little bits of embedded stone and or glass - you can remove them delicately with a sharp point.

I then patch up any little nicks and cuts by filling them with a bit of superglue... helps to get a few more miles out of the tyres, and more importantly reduces the risk of a blow out when riding at speed.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    was going to say dennis... sure its not a old forgotten bike thats decided to get revenge and slashed your new baby's tyres? 5MM sounds alot more realistic!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    chopper1 wrote:

I used Conti GP4000 tyres. They were full cuts after only a few hundred miles :( One cut was so bad that the sidewall was starting to bulge.

I've had similar bad luck with split casings on GP4000s myself - see Panaracer tyre thread in Road Gear & Know-how forum.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal