Pedal/shoe advice...

WRogers
WRogers Posts: 9
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I have an old raleigh racer and i am thinking of replacing the toe straps...

I commute to work each saturday (a few miles) and i also cycle on sundays/sat evening

I am looking to get a new bike near christmas (saving up) and since it is my birthday in a few weeks I am thinking of replacing my pedals with clipless!!!

So i understand you need shoes and compatable cleats (2/3 hole type) i think it is 2 hole for road cleats???

Also is there a guide as to attaching your feet???

the other thing is can you use normal shoes on them or will it break them/chew up sole of shoe???

and finally what should i budget for if i have £100 ish to spend in total on shoes, cleats and pedals???

would £40 on pedals £50 on shoes and £10 on cleats and extras be ok??...

also can anyone suggest which pedals are particularly better..

My list so far is..

Look Keo classic
Crank Brothers Quattro

any good??? i see the look Keo has a 4 1/2 star review.. but is the crank quattro the acid as they look similar

Any help is gratefully received...

Will

Comments

• azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Cleats tend to come with your pedals, so you shouldn't need to spend there really or for extra's.

I'd recomend buying cheap pedals and decent shoes. The fit of the shoe is really important and skimping on that could cause you to stop enjoying cycling as much. The pedals can be changed later, and if you don't find the particular bolt in action of that pedal to your liking, spending a lot on it is a big mistake.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    If you want maximum flexibility, Shimano spds are good. Not quite as efficient as road ones, but still good, with the major advantage that you can walk in the shoes. I have Taho shoes for touring/weekends/shopping and some rigid Spesh ones for commuting, etc when I don't need to walk that much, with clipless pedals on each bike.

When you fit the pedals, make sure you adjust the cleats and practice unclipping before riding off, clipping in and then pulling up at the first lights/junction!!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I use THESE and shoes to fit should cost £25 to £40 depending where you look. Plus you can walk when you get off the bike :D
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Sorry but this is my old account as my school PC saves my old password but i keep forgetting to change it to something easier....

I am not worried about the walking as i will carry my work shoes in a small backpack with my lunch (most important!!! :D )

I will also use them on my schools 100Mile charity bike ride either this summer or next summer which means i will need comfy shoes so maybe £40 on pedals and £60-70 on shoes max (because cheaper shoes may be comfier!!!)

I will also need a saddle that is comfy... that will come later i think...

the Shimano SPD pedals seem popular then... are they easy to clip into???
    Mentalpatient by name, and mentalpatient by nature or summat like that!!!

If it ain't broke, Fix it, or faceplant the next jump!!
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Yup. Easy to clip in and out.

I find the Taho shoes as comfortable as trainers, although not that stiff so not so efficient. My stiffer ones are comfortable enough for 100 miles as well.
  • WRogers
    WRogers Posts: 9
    I think a magic medium stiffness should be best... ok power transfer and comfort

I have study leave soon so might spend an afternoon in my LBS trying shoes and stuff out.