Not at the apex

eternal_headwind
eternal_headwind Posts: 222
edited May 2008 in Campaign
Has anyone else experienced an increase in the number of motorists who drive past you, then notice you and pull out to give you room?

A few weeks ago a motorist drove past so close that a contraceptive device had to be used, then after travelling a further 50ft up the road she slowed back down to my speed, indicated to pull out and rather neatly overtook an imaginary bicycle.

This is a rather extreme case, but is everyne else noticing this increase in delayed response?

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Yeah, I've noticed that too.
  • Nigel-YZ1
    Nigel-YZ1 Posts: 23
    It's always happened, but yes I think it's increasing.

I think it's either:

Beligerent = 'Oh dear I don't want to slow down? - Can I get round without slowing down? - Oh bugger I've arrived I'm gonna have to swerve!!'

or

Ignorant/Overestimating = 'Yeah he's going about $%^mph, Oh bugger I've arrived I'm gonna have to swerve'.

compared to my approach:

'Ok, cyclist ahead, I know how fast a bike goes, slow down, can't see far enough for clean pass, slow down, pop down a gear or two, keep a decent distance, wait. Ok good gap in traffic, move out and pass, give him/her a good clearance'.

There's just too much of a selfish/aggressive attitude in driving these days (good grief I'm starting to sound old!).
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    although i do like the 'needed a contraceptive' description of how close the car was :lol:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I thought it was just my perception It does seem to be getting worse although, thankfully most drivers still give plenty of space.

I blame the profusion of cycle lanes for motorists not giving space. I have started to ride an extra 1m from the kerb along some roads just to make it apparent that I'm there.

I did have my first experience of a driver deliberately swerving to drive as close to me as possible a couple of weeks ago - a group of young guys in an ancient Corsa, on their way to MacDonalds I suppose.

It was actually more frightening than being brushed by the side of a bus some years ago.

Bob