Newbie to Forum, and chain advise wanted....

andyd55
andyd55 Posts: 5
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
:D:D Hey all thought i would drop in say hello!! Came across this forum when i was looking for advice, so hopfully you guys and gurls can help.....

Currently after a new chain for my rocky mountain ETSx30 I have the SRAM Power Link on there at the moment but have had problems with it snapping apart? Can any one recomend me a good 9speed chain?!

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    In most folks experience Sram chains are better than Shimano, I know a lot of folks who have snapped Shimano chains, but not Sram chains.

What do you mean by "I have the SRAM Power Link on there at the moment but have had problems with it snapping apart?" Do you mean that you're having trouble separating the powerlink or that you have snapped the powerlink?

My personal choice of chain is the Sram PC971.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • andyd55
    On two occasions now, when on a uphill slog, I have snaped the SRAM connector apart? :?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Odd, the powerlink is just as strong as any other link in the chain.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH it sounds like it was poorly fitted. normally the chain goes before the power link.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andyd55
    There aint really much to fitting it tho is there? What could I have done wrong?
  • andyd55
    Just having a look on chain reactions website it appears a few people have been having this problem.......
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=9760
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You could just use a chain tool and a normal pin to connect it, then shove the power link in your pocket for emergencies.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Srams are indeed good shains, i snapped a shimano xtr in no time.

Kmc seem even better than sram, stronger and better shifting, they do need a good cleaning when newish otherwise they can suffer with stiff links.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25422
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • abbots_mike
    abbots_mike Posts: 280
    i have one of the powerlinks and it did snap open on me once when i fitted it in a hurry, and didn't check it. i'd say that you need to check both plates are locking correctly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had a really really bad time with SRAM chains. None of them lasted more than a few rides before snapping, and the powerlink doesn't seem as secure as the old Sachs ones - even though they look identical. I had several of them pop open. They just don't seem to lock into place properly.

I've been using a Connex chain for a while now, with no problem.
    Rohloff chains are also good.
    But avoid shimano chains completely.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    have about 1.5k miles on a xtr chain here with some silly steep hills and quite a few grinding power on changes on it :oops: and it has hardly any stretch on it yet, might try a kmc 9 sl next but the xtr has been great so far. might be awile though as i've read that some people have had near 4k miles on these.

before that i had a hg73? "lx" one which was good (no snapage) but stretched quite quickly and i'm pretty lightweight too.