Idler pulley wear

Oboe
Oboe Posts: 36
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Back in the saddle after a winter out (had a nasty accident in the summer) and after cleaning the bike up and getting back out on it im getting some absolutely terrible wear on the idler pulley of the derailleur.

After about an hour of the first ride the chain was slipping and on inspection the pulley was virtually worn to a circle :?

I can't see where I have put anything back on incorrectly and the gears and chain aren't worn as I haven't done a great number of miles on them so can anybody think of anything that might have caused this tragic wear?

Cheers, Owen.

Comments

• Are you sure the wear wasn't there _before_ you started riding? That is, might you have overlooked it whilst cleaning? Enough wear to round off the pulleys in one ride seems pretty bizarre. Is the chain badly stretched? Or dented? Are both the pulleys worn the same amount, or is it just one?
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Can you buy new pulleys separately?
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    chronyx wrote:

Campag

Shimano, 8 and 9 speed Can't seem to find any 10 speed ones.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    chronyx wrote:

Campag

Shimano, 8 and 9 speed Can't seem to find any 10 speed ones.

Something like this should do the job;

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/m ... T4060.html

Tacx pulleys are a bit dearer than some makes, but very good, and come with special adaptor washers to fit a multitude of rear mechs. They also do ceramic-bearing ones at about twice the price for extra pose value!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    come on you know you want something like this instead of bog standard boring ones - i know i do :?

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/cc/catalog/index.php/cPath/24_33?osCsid=bcf01e55142a1216d73ac0ba81aba5fb
  • Oboe
    No, deffinately no wearing when I cleaned. Had to be that ride aswell because the debris was stuck to everything. The chain aint stretched at all as it hasdn't had enough use last summer to do any damage and it is only the idler pulley that its happened to. :(

Obviously will replace it once I;ve found out what's wrong but no point in wearing more pulleys out.

Those alloy things do look the business though, shame I'm a skint student :(

Thanks for your help though, next thing: take it to pieces and throw it all back togehter, see if that works. hehehe...
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    deal wrote:
    come on you know you want something like this instead of bog standard boring ones - i know i do :?

Oooooohhhhhhh - pretty!
  • pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417
    Maybe the pulley bearing siezed causing the chain to wear the teeth off. Did you have it apart to clean it? did you put it back the way it was? Did you get some rag wrapped around it when cleaning etc etc.

I have never heard of this happeniing before so am just throwing ideas in the ring.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    deal wrote:

Oooooohhhhhhh - pretty!

i only clicked on this thread cos I didn't know what an 'idler gear' was

- now i really really want some of those things!!
  • Oboe
    Had it apart as son as I gothome with it and there was nothing wrong to show any sort of jamming.

Think I'll just have a go at a new derailleur, nothing seems to sort the chuffing thing out, put a new pulley on and even after 5 mins of turning the pedals by hand there was a bit of wear :cry:

Thanks for the suggestions though!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Is your chain too long? I changed my inner chainring last year to a smaller one and didn't notice that by doing so I had caused the upper pulley to make contact with the block when in lowest gear combination of all.

I haven't noticed any visible wear, but there is definitely contact. It is probably adjustable, but I haven't had time to look into that yet.

Just a thought.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)