All new to the world of bikes!

cujo101
cujo101 Posts: 23
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I'm 35, haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager and looking to get fit. I've been offered a second hand Scott Speedster S60 FB. Would the Scott be a good starting point? :)

Comments

• weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    so long as you stick to tarmac that should be fine. Just give it 6 months and you'll be wanting a full on £5000 race bike lol.
  • However good a bargain it might be, make sure that the bike fits you properly. If it's mechanically imperfect you can probably do something about it, but it's hard to get motivated to ride a bike that's wildly wrong in size.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Go for it, when you start the feeling will come back and you'll get the bug

It's a good suggestion though to get the Speedster to your local LBS and use their experience to get you a good comfortable fit, as long as the bike is close to your needs the LBS will do the right job in making it comfortable so the bug get you !!!!! :)
  • cujo101
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm gonna go for it! :D
    I really need to lose some weight, get some exercise and save some money in the process.
  • jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    I ride a scott speedster and find it is a good bike

dont know too much, but averaging about 1hr 10 for 22.5 miles on it.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    cujo101 wrote:
    ... save some money in the process.

Hmmmm...speaking from experience that's the last thing to happen. Save time by arranging for your salary to be paid straight into your LBS a/c and take services and/or parts etc when required :lol:

Seriously though, welcome and enjoy.
  • chopper1
    chopper1 Posts: 45
    i second crooked cucumber, make sure its the right size for you, n get out there n ride. enjoy!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    If it fits and the price is right, then go for it!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • cujo101
    I bought the bike last week and it's fantastic! I think that my excess weight might of put it under pressure but it's fine. I'm beginning to understand how cyclists can become addicted - I started by riding late-night / early morning (8-10 miles) to build up confidence and despite being initially tough, it's getting easier and I feeling a lot better for it! :P
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    and save some money in the process

Yeah, right.