Fred Whitton - everybody ready?

2»

Comments

• bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Got to agree that the heat was too much yesterday. It did make for a lovely day but when was cycling up the likes of Honister, Hardknotts and Wynrose I couldnt enough liquid back into my body as I was sweating buckets on the climbs. Not used to the heat and sun coming from Glasgow.

My ride time was 40 mins quicker this year and I came in with 8hrs 2 mins which I was happy and sad about as I was trying to go under the 8 hr mark. Will have to go back next year and try again.

Brian- Hope you got back in one piece. I was the guy who stopped when you had punctured but I lost you later on at one of the junctions. Hope your wounds arent too sore.

I thought the event itself was very well organized and all the stewards on the road were excellent along with the helpers back at base camp. Keep up the good work.
  • PutneyJoe
    PutneyJoe Posts: 242
    You'll be back RichyBoy!
    Well done Vermooten, even if you are a bummer.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Well done all who finished. Toughest ride of my life. I pushed the bike up most of Hardknott and was getting seriously worried about heat stroke. One guy laid out at the side of the road near the top was being treated for heat exhaustion which didn't help my thought process!! Then over the top of Hardknott into a ferocious headwind and a massive thunderstorm. The heavens opened as we approached Wrynose and the road turned into a river. Me and a few other chaps ended up pushing our bikes DOWN Wrynose - the road was so wet and greasy.

Anyway, I finished which was my goal. It took a long, long time but I got round in the end.
  • Garswood
    Garswood Posts: 2
    RICHYBOYcp, great write up. I got a cold 3 days before the ride and suffered non stop from Honister. Really thought I would have to quit at times. I'd made the descision to walk Hardknott even before I saw it, just to give me some incentive to get to the end. I managed Wrynose at near walking pace, heavy breathing quivering lips etc. We got in around 4pm just before the rain, so, I guess we were quite lucky reading some of the other accounts. Hope those who required the ambulances all recover quickly.
    Finally many thanks to Pete & Anthony, I dont think I would have managed without you both.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Right first things first - thanks to all who helped me yesterday, cheers bigal for stopping I had to stop again as my front caliper was starting to come loose.

My objection this year was to get under 8hrs with no walking - I only missed it by ten mins last year.

Everything was going great until I hit a great bloody catseye on the A66 whilst taking a drink. I crashed at about 30plus mph I did not think I was ever going to stop rolling - until a fence post did it for me. Bad luck for crashing - good luck for no damage apart from a small scratch on my frame and a dent on the back wheel, and a ripped tyre at the sidewall.

My helmet is smashed right through and lost a fair amount of the inside foam but it may have saved my life. I have got about 1000 scratches and bruises and I thought I may have broke my finger guaging by the angle it was at after the crash but I bent it back into shape and its looks a bit better today.

I carried on regardless and was doing well until I punctured after whinlatter and noticed my side wall was ripped and the tube had came through. It was only then that I noticed my right ankle was the size off a balloon and did not look good. Bigal stopped and gave me some encouragement, but I had to stop again to tighten my front caliper.

Punctured again coming off coldfell and by now the heat and my injuries was really starting to tell on me - I just wanted to pack up and go home as I was aching all over and my head was sore from the impact and had started to bleed again. I got going again and 5 minutes later a guy came swerving across the road and broad-sided right into me and I almost crashed again.

Then came Hardknott. The heat was crazy. I made it up the first half and slowly hauled my carcass along the false flat. Then came the clincher, two cars had had some sort of collision trying to squeeze past each other when not at a passing place and the traffic was going no where fast. I had to get off and walk around but maybe it helped because it was stupidy to put my body through any more agony but I hate to get off and walk and I know that if I get up the first half off Hardknott then i know I will make the rest. I finished a 8hrs40mins not bad considering the event off the day.

The event itself was run superbly, well signposted and marshalled and the atmosphere from the crowds and other riders was fantastic. Think I will give it a miss next year though and try something else crazy like the Ryedale Rumble.

Still got the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge to come - surely that cannot be worse then yesterdays ride.
    Brian B.
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    richy and brian, i saw john at the finish and he reckoned you guys would be about half an hour or so behind him so i waited at the finish for you, now i know why there was no sign of you! i came along the A66 at a decent speed with about 4 others and knew that the catseyes had the potential to cause a big big problem, i was really weary about these

despite the furnace like heat and sunburn i thoroughly enjoyed this year's fred and while i was sure that my first thought on completing my first one this year would be 'never again' i actually feel more motivated to do it again next year! this is a great showcase of the lake's hospitality, evident in the crowds of people at the top of each pass and the spectators placed about the course, it was really heartening to see children etc with flags and cowbells. it truly was a cycling experience to remember.

being my first fred my plan was to take it very steady on the flat sections and ride at my own pace on the climbs which got me around with not too much discomfort or fatigue, although my lower back and triceps were hurting from all the extreme decending necessary. i was aware after the decent of kirkstone that a lot of people were going off too fast, sprinting up short hills and the like, so rather than do work in these groups i just sat on the back and thought that this would benefit me later. the climbs before hardnott and wrynose all came and went, it was good to do honister, buttermere and whinlatter for the first time and they all took a bit of effort in the heat....i set off from the final feedstop 18 miles from hardnott alone as i wanted to ride at an unforced and very easy pace thinking this would help stave off cramp but low and behold i started to get a few twinges from there on in and i new i hardnott would be an event! as soon as i got on it and passed the crowd sitting at the bottom i didnt feel too good and the cramps started but i persevered till it levelled out and inched along trying to save myself for the hairpins, i was the only one i could see still riding at this point and it kind of dawned on me that i would, too, soon be beat! as soon as the gradient on the hairpins the cramps left me unable to turn the pedals so i dismounted, very gutted, and dawled along round the two hairpins....their were about 5 or 6 spectators here who started shouting and screaming encouragement to two of their friends who were taking part and who came passed me, still riding, in an unforgettable dualling mode a la rasmussen and contador on the last tour, riding side by side and attacking one another! :shock: i presume these guys were on for a good time. me? i got back on the bike as soon as the gradient eased after the hairpins and rode the rest of the climb, and managed to slog up wrynose without getting off. as a 90kg rider i am giving more consideration to putting a triple on my bike as opposed to a compact, but hey, not many events will be like the fred! my time: 7h 31m
    DSC_3791.JPG
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Agree with the above comments about this being a very well run event. many thanks to all the marshalls and helpers who gave up their time yesterday . it was my first Fred whitton and my aim was to get round in one piece and not to walk. well i achieved the first aim , but circummed to leg cramps on the second lot of hairpins on hardknott. A major dissapointment for me.After stretching out for a while I managed to remount after walking the steepest hairpin sections,and finished off the climb, after that Wrynose was getting ridden up no matter what, that i managed to achieve.Punctured on the descent mind , but managed to stop safely. Probably need to train harder for next time. But all things considered with the heat on the day and the previous climbs in my legs I can live with that, Just!!!!! lol Was nice to see some friendly faces on the course, Allan on the tandem, Richyboy and friends ,stevie from the Ryedale recce, well done to all you lads. Brian, hope your injuries heal up quickly and pleased you got round despite your crash.Thought I saw you on Cold Fell , but not too sure. if it was you,sorry for not speaking mate. Was a bloke in Black on a Black Storck.One or two people looked to have had nasty accidents and I hope they are all ok and back on their bikes soon. My time of 7hrs 45 mins is imaterial really, just finishing is good enough for me, My mate Peter did 7 hrs 41 pretty good going for a 59 year old. Well don eeveryone.
  • trashcanman
    trashcanman Posts: 56
    I rode up Hardknott yesterday morning to watch the ascent in the afternoon. I was knackered and I'd only ridden 12 miles from home and this was before the high temperatures of the afternoon.
    I'd like to say a big well done to every rider that made it back to Coniston however long it took, the conditions were cruel and to complete the course was a fantastic acheivement, massive respect to all finishers.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Are the results available anywhere, as a couple of my mates did it and I've not seen their times yet.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    I was one of the first out at 6am. 10 hours and 19 minutes of brutal pain later, I finally returned. Let's never speak of it again!

... except to say, great organisation and I hope those who fell are ok.

I'm sure in a few days it'll be forgotten and I'll be hoping for a place next year (maybe).
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know how that compares to the Etape (in terms of heat and general toughness)?
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/200 ... _LONG.html

5hrs 41 mins for Rob Jebb and James Dobbin who were first and second.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Amazing that for the second year in a row the two riders who came in first got exactly the same time. What are the chances?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Brian B
    Ash - that was me on Coldfell and I was looking out for you and peter the whole day(if you came whizzing past :wink: ). After we climbed Hardknott the last time in the gale force winds I knew you guys would get a decent time as would Fathead - but it was my hardest day ever cycling.

I felt it was much harder than last year, the heat was amazing and I have only ever felt like that when cycling in France.
    Brian B.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    That was just The Best :lol: I had a steady start with my chain coming off at the bottom of Kirkstone and my rear bottle cage parted company with full bottle when I hit a pot hole at Matterdale right into the rear wheel, I stopped pretty quickly, my wheel is now about 4mm out but not bad enough to put me out. Then things just got better and better. The bit from Eskdale to Calder Hall was brilliant I hooked up with a fast group and we flew, I tucked in on the flat and took the lead on the next hill only to be past again and I tucked in number two or three. It was mainly big ring, big grins as we flew past other riders, I knew I had to settle down for Hardknott so I eased off over Irton Pike. Hardknott came to soon and I could not believe how people gave up and walked ! The next 15-20 minutes are the hardest of my life but crest the ridge I did only to give my forearms a real workout on the way down, Wrynose over and i was all out, a spent force so I slowly rode to the main rode where we were let out in a group, at the back we lost contact with the main group so I tried to catch up and to my reliefe I had a brand new pair of legs :lol: all fired up and ready to go, I past 3 cars and caught the group, swept to the front which was all that was needed for a flat out final 2 miles.
    I aimed for a no walk 10 hour day I ended up with 8:05 no walk :):D:D:D

I loved the supporters , really unexpected and the organisation was supperb

Many thanks to all those I rode with, organisers and to who ever ordered the weather :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    John C. wrote:
    Hardknott came to soon and I could not believe how people gave up and walked !
    Some people are just pussies I guess. A spell in the army would give them some fight eh.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Brian B
    John sounds like you had a great time. Last year I finished at 8rhs10mins and no walking and I wrote to Paul Loftus telling him it was my BEST day ever in the saddle and I still believe that. Its a fantastic day out and the pain of the event fades pretty quickly to be replaced by grins when you finish.

John are you for the Mega Challenge - it might just be as tough and as rewarding.
    Brian B.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Brian B wrote:
    and the pain of the event fades pretty quickly to be replaced by grins when you finish.

No fading for me Bro...no way on earth will I ever grin about yesterday :shock:

Fathead - great time mate, no way you need a triple....theres nowt else like Hardknott! Very big well done!

Ash - Great time aswell bud , I knew I wouldnt see you again after the approach of Honister :wink: Congratulate Peter from me.

Spoke in length with barefoot John at the end...another big slap n the back for him...year goal completed!

It was a memorable day..but I'm very honest.....although I completed my goal of no walking (against all the odds with such conditions) I feel I'm just disgusted with Hardknott, I'll be quite happy to give that hill a miss for a good wee while...my next run is the WRC and although I know it will be a very tough day out I just know I'll enjoy it more as I'll not having that 'utter dread' feeling I carried with me for 100miles yesterday before my worst fears were realised...the FWC is a monument and anyone who managed round yesterday really should feel proud but for me I reckon i've just did it a bit too much lately...long live the FWC!...just i'll live without it for a but :wink:
  • John C.
    Glad you're OK Brian, I had a close shave with one of those cats eyes as well, definatley Not cycle friendly.

Yes I'm up for a challenge :lol:

• alesupper
    alesupper Posts: 286
    Well, what a grueller that was! The heat just totally killed me yesterday!

I had the pleasure of riding round with Richyboy and another mate of mine called Dave. There is no point going into detail about my ride because Richyboy has already covered it in his usual 'attention to detail' and style. All I will say is that I won't be doing the FWC next year. Not because I didn't enjoy, I did, but because the monster that is Hardknott nearly killed me this time. I made it round without walking but I'm fairly sure that I was close to death by the time I got to the top of Hardknott and I don't want to feel like that again for a good while. Plus I would like to get some different Sportives done next year.

I'd like to give a shout out to Brian, Fathead, Ash, John...well done guys on completing the course. Especially you Brian, what you did yesterday took some guts!

Fathead - that is a great time mate - well done.
    Ash - bad luck with the cramp on Hardknott. You weren't alone there though. It was a cramp type of a day!
    Peter - that guy can shift for any age never mind 59.

I'd like to congratulate and thank Paul Loftus and his team for such a well organised event. The signage and marshalls were brilliant this year - well done!

Brian - how did George get on?

Looking forward to the WRC now.

Cheers, Alesupper (Stu)
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Well done all that enetered this event!!

I went to spectate at Kirkstone and then followed my mate for half hour our so in the car, he came 10th which i'm sure he will be pleased with.

Also had another mate that has been training for this for six months and he got in just under 8 hours which is great!

Hell they go at some pace when i was following in the car!

Feel sorry fo all that came off, there was someone over a wall down Kirkstone and the ambulance was there, i hope they are ok.

What a event to complete though in that heat!

Saw a guy on a MTB with slicks on! got me thinking!
  • Brian B
    alesupper wrote:
    Well, what a grueller that was! The heat just totally killed me yesterday!

Brian - how did George get on?

Cheers, Alesupper (Stu)

Stu,

George did 8hrs17 mins but would have beem faster if he had not stopped for me when I had crashed. Not bad for somebody who does not really do any miles above the sixty mile mark, he cramped on Hardknott but cycled the rest. He said it was the hardest day of his life. My other mate Neil Scaife (who entered the evet without even cycling much this year) did 7hrs54 mins and kept a gear back when climbing Honister and thats on a compact gearing - the man is animal. He lost about 30 mins waiting for me after crashing.

Good going there mate on Hardknott - that was the hardest climb of it yet. Hope you enjoy th WRC classic - you will because there is no Hardknott to climb at the end which makes all the other pain acceptable :roll:
    Brian B.
  • I'd like to say thanks to Paul Loftus, the Lakes Road Club all the volunteers and marshalls and the people at the side of the road cheering everyone along. This sort of thing must be a nightmare to put on and even more of a nightmare to clean up!

I'm not surprised there were some crashes on descents, there were some people taking insane risks. Of course some things are beyond your control like the sheep dog I hit on the descent of Newlands into Braithwaite. Luckily I'd spotted it in the distance and had slowed right down so although I crashed and fell off it was all fairly gentle. The dog yowled a bit and my brake levers are a bit scratched but that's all. It could have been much worse - nobody was following close behind at that point for example.

Anyone know what the state of the rider that crashed on the descent of Hardknott was? He/she was behind a screen and the Mountain Rescue ambulance and helicopter were closing in as I got to the top of Wrynose.

Well done all that finished and better luck and a fast recovery to those that didn't.
  • Fat Head
    320DMsport wrote:
    Saw a guy on a MTB with slicks on! got me thinking!

i saw a guy on an MTB with NO slicks! i passed him at Patterdale and when i asked him where his slicks were he just laughed and said i was the umpteenth person to ask him that on the day. oh well, each to their own! :lol:
  • John C.

Anyone know what the state of the rider that crashed on the descent of Hardknott was? He/she was behind a screen and the Mountain Rescue ambulance and helicopter were closing in as I got to the top of Wrynose.

Well done all that finished and better luck and a fast recovery to those that didn't.

I saw him at the finish, he had a few bandages on his limbs and he looked a bit bloody, he said there was a suspected fracture, I forget where. He looked in pain but the fact he was air lifted to the finish and not hospital must be a good sign.

• Anonymous
    Are you in any of these?

http://www.not2small2print.co.uk/fred/

Nice photos at the top of Coldfell.
  • Anonymous
    Fat Head wrote:

....their were about 5 or 6 spectators here who started shouting and screaming encouragement to two of their friends who were taking part and who came passed me, still riding, in an unforgettable dualling mode a la rasmussen and contador on the last tour, riding side by side and attacking one another! :shock: i presume these guys were on for a good time. me?

Sadiq...that was Rob Jebb and James Dobbin who you seen 'racing' up hardknott...mental! Rob's a legend and James just won the UK Hill Climbing Championship I think ...how can you finish in 5.40 without a Yamaha! Considering you a fair ole cyclist in your own right and you started at around back of 6 and these 2 lads started at 9 and they caught you on Hardknott :shock: How can you 'race' up that thing?

Was it them? =

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... shed-16364
  • Fat Head
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Fat Head wrote:

....their were about 5 or 6 spectators here who started shouting and screaming encouragement to two of their friends who were taking part and who came passed me, still riding, in an unforgettable dualling mode a la rasmussen and contador on the last tour, riding side by side and attacking one another! :shock: i presume these guys were on for a good time. me?

Sadiq...that was Rob Jebb and James Dobbin who you seen 'racing' up hardknott...mental! Rob's a legend and James just won the UK Hill Climbing Championship I think ...how can you finish in 5.40 without a Yamaha! Considering you a fair ole cyclist in your own right and you started at around back of 6 and these 2 lads started at 9 and they caught you on Hardknott :shock: How can you 'race' up that thing?

Was it them? =

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... shed-16364

richy, it's hard to recognise them from the front but i really don't know if there were two other riders capable of such a feat so i presume it was them. there was a small group of friends of theirs shouting them on....i had pushed round the hairpins and was trying to clip back in and get going on a steep gradient which was difficult and one of the ladies asked me if she could do anything to help....i swear to god i was close to asking her to push me up as far as she could manage!

nothing but the fondest of memories of the fred, definitely looking to take part again next year. its also fired me up for doing some more sportives this year although many of the toughies are full. should manage at least another one though.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Did they ride in together or compete for first but just finish so close they got the same time ? (I know it's not a race)

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I think a group set off together, i followed them in the car for abit, it said on the wheelbase site that Jebb and Dobbins left the group and battled it out over the remaining 66 miles.

Totally awesome!

It's bad over there in a car nevermind going for it on a bike.

Fat Head he must of been mad on a MTB with off road tyres!

Wonder if he finished?
  • Anonymous
    I've did a very personal write up of my experience...I'm very honest and this lengthy read tells what its really like for a very average guy to tackle a challenge such as this...if you are a mere mortal and are maybe thinking of having a pop at the FWC then you may find this useful...I give ideas of gear usages on different climbs...and I also give a reality check on what most will experience...but this story is about last Sunday with 28 degrees and 97% Humidity(so the course doctor told people)...so it was much tougher than normal..buts its still disgracefully hard with any weather!

http://www.cyclosport.org/members/myBlo ... 773&size=5