What layers do you wear for a sportif in May?

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
thanks

Comments

• Alain Quay
    ie,. Etape Caledonia,. In Scotland . Last year I had a jacket but most cyclists had jerseys/under layers. Can anyone provide a URL fro these underlayer jerseys

thanks
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Surely it depends on the weather on the day? :?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    A short sleeve shirt with arm warmers and a shower proof gillet to start. You can always take the arm warmers and gillet as the day warms up - ok for most days. If you know its going to be wet a light waterproof jacket on top of a base layer. And finally if you know its going to be dry(a miracle but today is a good example) a lightweight long sleeve shirt is enough for me.

I take a whole bag of clothes to the event and make up the final wardrobe choice before I start. It can be a bit stressful but thats cycling for you.
    Brian B.
  • Alain Quay
    Brian B wrote:
    A short sleeve shirt with arm warmers and a shower proof gillet to start. You can always take the arm warmers and gillet as the day warms up - ok for most days. If you know its going to be wet a light waterproof jacket on top of a base layer. And finally if you know its going to be dry(a miracle but today is a good example) a lightweight long sleeve shirt is enough for me.

I take a whole bag of clothes to the event and make up the final wardrobe choice before I start. It can be a bit stressful but thats cycling for you.

- Good advice, thanks
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    A gillet is a good investment. Most the big rides have a early start so it can be a bit chilly when you set off. A gillet will keep the wind off 'til it warms up and they pack down small so you can just stick it in your jersey pocket. I also bought some knee warmers after my first sportive last year. Same reasoning as for the gillet.