Chain that skips

sebzzz
sebzzz Posts: 2
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I recently bought a 2000 or 2001 Specialized Hard Rock MTB. When I bought it the guy told be to check and possibly change the chain since it skips a lot.

I went to the local bicycle shop to tune it up and they called me back a couple of days later to tell me that it really needs a new chain and cassette. I make them to the necessary to get a good ride.

Well, not I got it back and the bad news is it still skips. Not on all gears, but some do make the chain skip. I just had a couple of rides to date with it so can't tell exactly which gears cause a problem, will get you updated. For now, all gears in the back seem fine as long as I'm on the smallest one in the front. When I engage the second one in the front, it starts to skip.

Now, I bought a cheap MTB last summer that had this same problem and it bothered me a lot, went for a free tune up once but the problem reappeared as soon as I removed the back wheel the change tire and put it back on. It is one of the reasons why I sold it, I couldn't stand this skipping chain.

Should I run to the store to tell them something is still wrong or is there anything I should try before doing that? One thing is that I sold my car so now my bicycle is my only means of commuting.

Also, any good books that would help with all those small problems especially for someone like me who plans to use only his bike for all his everyday needs?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Could be a stiff link, whip that chain off give it a good clean and inspect all the links.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could just need fine tuning - but most likely worn chainrings.

Zinn does a great book.
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    I have this problem on my bike. Due to its ages/use I suspect that the chain is worn.

The obvious thing would be get a new chain :roll:

However, how much do mountain bike sprockets wear, how often do they need replacing?

I am from a enduro motorbiking background and they need replacing fairly often.

Im not sure if I need a whole need set or whether just a chain will do.

Any chain recomendations?
  • supersonic
    Depends on what the riding conditions are like. Sandy, salty places will wear them down double quick.

A new chain may slip on old chainrigs and cassettes. Sometimes you have to change ther lot in one go.
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Is it as simple as looking at them to see how worn and hooked they are?

Could I get a new chain, and if it doesnt solve it new sprockets? or would this ruinin the new chain?
  • supersonic
    Have a look at Sheldon Browns website - he has good pics off worn components.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    my hardrock also did this every now and then. It's one of those small things that's REALLY annoying. I never got it fixed before it was stolen I'm afraid.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    On my mate Robs Giant this problem was caused by a worn front chainring !
  • cool.hwhip
    cool.hwhip Posts: 24
    seems like this is a regular problem with hardrocks. I bought a new one about a month ago and the chain skips. I spoke with the people that sold me the bike and they recommended a new rear derailleur. Not really sure this will solve the problem fully though.