Trail riding for beginners

SkyBlueKangaroo
SkyBlueKangaroo Posts: 66
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Can anyone recommend a good place to ride off road within 2 hours drive of Hertfordshire?

I'm a total novice when it comes to MTB so I'm not interested (yet) in technical, 6inch wide rooty singletrack, downhill, jumps, etc. I would like to find somewhere I can ride for 2-3 hours at a good pace, undulating, a couple or three decent climbs which aren't like the side of a cliff and slippery. I've been to Aston Hill near me and to be frank/honest even the XC course technically its well beyond me.

I appreciate that may be as appealing as watching paint dry to many hard core MTB'ers but I'm 39 and looking to get out and spin the peddles and ride for fitness rather than gaining technical abilities.

I've heard that Thetford Forest has some easy routes, and also Woburn Sands and Swinley Forest near Bracknell? Comments on any particular routes would be welcomed.

Comments

• Just spotted on another thread that trail centres have blue and green routes for beginners. I guess this is what I should be looking out for? Nominations for favourite blue and green routes please!
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Try Broxbourne Woods. It has a fair bit of "rooty 6" wide singletrack" but also some easier bridleways and byways if you don't want anything too taxing. It's also within 2 hours drive of Hertfordshire - in fact, its in Hertfordshire!

Epping Forest has miles and miles of bridleways that you can build up some confidence and fitness on.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Chicksands is very good - something for all styles / levels of riding

www.chicksandsbikepark.co.uk/
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Epping Forest but Broxbourne I think is closer.