Which waterproof jacket?

funky_nomad
funky_nomad Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I really need to buy a stylish waterproof softshell that does not look like a cycling jacket so that I can wear it as much off the bike as on. No doubt a compromise will have to be made, but so far nothing seems to come close.

In terms of breathable fabrics that are also highly waterproof, most people have advised me to look at jackets that use either eVent or Gor-tex. Having looked through the reviews on this site, non of the jackets impressed me looks-wise...Jackets like Gore's Alp-X and Enduras eVent seemed to fit my functional requirements but neither as far as I know had a hood, and asthetics wise, I wouldn't be seen dead in either when off the bike.

On the Howies web site I did come across a couple of jackets that looked really cool, but at over £100 a pop, not being able to find a review of their suitability for cycling makes me have second thoughts..if they function poorly, I'll have ended up spending at least £70 more then I needed too (TK Maxx sell some lovely LOOKING softshells for £30-£40). The 2 jackets I saw that looked good were the Howies Sundown and the Howies 36Kph. I know they do the extra miller (cycle specific) jacket, but I thought the design was ugly, especially because of it's Zip-off arms (which I really don't need). Also to be paying over £100 for a jacket that doesn't use eVent or gore-tex worries me.

To reiterate, I would really love someone to point me in the right direction. The jacket must be great at wicking away sweat, keeping me dry in the rain, have a hood, pockets, good fit (not too tight or loose) and not look like a cycling jacket.

Comments

• funky_nomad
    any takers?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited May 2008
    I had a Howies extra miler jacket for the same reasons,as you are considering.
    However it wasn`t,particularly waterproof and the cut wasn`t great.Whilst it looked OK off the bike,the pockets were useless and it had no hood.For £100 the quality wasn`t that great,either.

The drawstring failed,so I sent it back and got the Gill Pro speed instead.Much more effective.

The moral of this? Ideally,You need a bike specific jacket for cycling,and a good jacket for casual wear.

The cheapest Northface goretex jacket I found was the Circadian,which was £150,for which price you can buy one of their hyvent jackets,for dossing around in and a Gill Pro speed for on the bike.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    How about a NorthFace one, I think they look pretty damn cool, and Blacks are having a sale at the moment....?
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Got one of these - utterly brilliant. Super breathable (5x more than Gore-tex), stupidly waterproof and light as a feather - a bit pricey but they last well and genuinely look good too - quite fitted. Mine's green.

http://finisterreuk.com/technicalsurfap ... 0-c26.html

They do a cheaper smock version too.

Also got their base layer (and some other bits) - and I wear it riding every day.
  • funky_nomad
    Thanks guys,

I did check out the link posted by Suf-Matt and was really impressed with the function and design of the jacket..but at £250..it is way more then I can justify spending.

Spiderman I think in light of the fact that there really doesn't seem to be a good do-it-all..maybe I will have to settle for the Gill-Pro (Cycle specific) and a seperate trendy every day waterproof...if there was a do-it-all for £150 I'd be willing to go for it, but since it seems there isn't I'll have to check out some jackets made with hyvent..

I don't know much about hyvent..how waterproof and good at wicking sweat is it?
  • funky_nomad
    Spider, is not possible that one of North Face's hyvent jackets could be all I need? Or would they be totaly unsuitable for cycling? (I'm not going in for the Tour de France)

And I have seen a few jackets by North Face called: resolve, venture, all terrain and Prophecy..with the prophecy and All Terrain model being the most expensive

Anyone know how suitable they are for cycling?
  • Surf-Matt
    Nomad - sorry about that. it's is quite pricey but there's no going back once you've tried one!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Spider, is not possible that one of North Face's hyvent jackets could be all I need? Or would they be totaly unsuitable for cycling? (I'm not going in for the Tour de France)

And I have seen a few jackets by North Face called: resolve, venture, all terrain and Prophecy..with the prophecy and All Terrain model being the most expensive

Anyone know how suitable they are for cycling?

Something like the Northface Resolve,would be OK if you are doing local/commuting rides,but would get very clammy with high exertion,or any ride longer than 5 miles or so.The cut on non cycling specific jackets tends to be baggier,so they can billow in the wind,the back and sleeves can be too short,too so you need to try some on.

The Northface Hyvent jackets would be OK,if its really cold,or you aren`t doing anything too challenging.If you do decide you want an all purpose jacket,something more breathable like the £150 Northface Circadian might be a better bet.

As I often ride 20 miles or so,in bad weather,and do a lot of night winter/rides for me it seemed better to have a cycling specific jacket for proper rides,and a more casual jacket,for the occasions when breathability,doesn`t matter so much.The Gill Pro speed is event fabric and £80,something like the Northface Resolve can be bought online for £60,so instead of spending £150 on the Circadian ,I figured for me,it would be better to have 2 jackets.

Best advice,is to consider carefully how and when you are going to need your waterproof jacket,and go try a few on to see how they fit,and what they look like.

I
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • funky_nomad
    Spiderman, I'm sold, you've given me the best and most useful bit of advice so far..

I feel armed with the right ideas to go and make a better and mroe informed decision..

Many many thanks : )
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 315
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Got one of these - utterly brilliant. Super breathable (5x more than Gore-tex), stupidly waterproof and light as a feather - a bit pricey but they last well and genuinely look good too - quite fitted. Mine's green.

http://finisterreuk.com/technicalsurfap ... 0-c26.html

They do a cheaper smock version too.

Also got their base layer (and some other bits) - and I wear it riding every day.

Nice jacket. Just posting this so I can look back in my post history to find it when I buy a jacket come end of the summer. Cheers.
  • Surf-Matt
    SuperM - nice one. They really are rather good.

Wife and I both have one (different colours!).
  • Hi funky_nomad,

Can I just ask which jacket you eventually went for? I personally own the North Face resolve jacket and wouldn't be without it. Most outdoor people think the jacket as being too basic but I've never felt that and it's done it's job perfectly. Light-weight, elasticated cuffs (most people prefer velco but I've always found that they tend to loose their stickiness after a while) and stylish to boot :)

Something like the Northface Resolve,would be OK if you are doing local/commuting rides,but would get very clammy with high exertion,or any ride longer than 5 miles or so.The cut on non cycling specific jackets tends to be baggier,so they can billow in the wind,the back and sleeves can be too short,too so you need to try some on.

I will agree with this comment above though. Being of medium to slim build and 6ft tall I've got a size large in the resolve jacket range, the medium was a little short for me. As such when I am cycling the back of the jacket can blow quite furiously (even when zipped) especially when riding into a head wind, acting as a sail and creating that bit of drag. :shock:
  • WTF? It's a 4yr old thread. And the dude hasn't even been on here since 2010.