Achey thumbs??

locko75
locko75 Posts: 21
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi - I've been riding for a while now and have got pretty used to my normal milage to and from work (22 miles each way). My problem is the big muscle at the base of my thumbs ache very quickly, especially when i'm on the hoods.
What do i need to change to counter this? I assume I've got too much wieght on my hands but i don't know how to change this without compromising something else.
Also i do tend to grip pretty hard particularly on climbs. Could this be the cause?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    locko75 wrote:
    Hi - I've been riding for a while now and have got pretty used to my normal milage to and from work (22 miles each way). My problem is the big muscle at the base of my thumbs ache very quickly, especially when i'm on the hoods.
    What do i need to change to counter this? I assume I've got too much wieght on my hands but i don't know how to change this without compromising something else.
    Also i do tend to grip pretty hard particularly on climbs. Could this be the cause?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

I would go to a decebt bike shop or somebody experienced and get them to have a look at your riding position. Your right though about the gripping when climbing - try to keep your whole upper halve relaxed and that includes hands and arms.
    Brian B.
  • chopsocky
    chopsocky Posts: 13
    I had a problem like this, see the thread called Handlebar Angle.
    The poster had a link to a picture of a bike and wondered if he needed to change the angle of his bars. Compared my bars to the picture and found that they were angled slightly down. Lifted the angle a touch and has made a big difference. With the bars angled down slightly you may be putting more weight on your thumbs like i was.
  • locko75
    locko75 Posts: 21
    Thanks Chopsocky.

My bars were slightly angled downwards. lifting them a bit has made it much better :D