different length cranks - responsible for hip pain ?

deal
deal Posts: 857
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
just measuring my cranks before i ordered a new groupset and i noticed my left crank is 175mm, which was a surprise because i assumed on my frame size the cranks would be 172.5mm, i double checked and the drive side is 172.5mm.

This must have happened when I had the left side swapped by the lbs after i managed to strip the thread using an old pedal with damaged threads. Althrough the crank isnt the exact same model as the removed crank i assumed (surely as anyone would expect) the lbs would fit one of the same length. They only charged me a tenner since they had the crank laying about but they never mentioned the different length or i would have paid more to get a proper crank.

anyway i have been suffering with an aching pain in my left hip for a while now that gets gradually worse over a ride and lasts for a few hours afterwards. looking back I think the pain only occured after this crank was changed!

Is this pain likely a result of the mis-matched cranks ? Im hoping so as it has resulted in me reducing both ride lengths and frequency even going as far as a complete two week break to allow 'the injury' to heal.

I have since bought loads of my own tools and plan to do my most of the work/maintainance myself in future, and certainly wont be taking any of my bikes to that shop.

Comments