Planning a trip to Scotland

jeffers696
jeffers696 Posts: 328
edited May 2008 in MTB rides
hi every body, planning a trip to scotland in celebration of finishing uni, just want some info on where the best place would be to go. gona go for about 5days or so.

i dont know any places but i have seen the artical in mbr about tweed vally, (best in world apparently) so thats high on the list.

dose any body have any info? or been on a similar trip?
Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
OnOne 456

Comments

• jeffers696
    oh btw i am planning the trip so that i can go watch the dh world cup at fort william on the 8th of june. SWEEET
    OnOne 456
  • garsr6
    garsr6 Posts: 135
    inverness is about 80 mins drive from ft bill, there is a choice of 6 trail centres within about 70 mins drive from inverness the closest being 10 mins away. then you also have the cairngorms(aviemore area) which has the highest concentrate of natural singletrack in the uk, about 30 mins drive. good riding there!

or you could visit the seven stanes although they are a bit far away from ft bill but you could do a few on the way up.

and if your not driving? ft bill, inverness, golspie (mega trail) and aviemore are all accessible by train.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    This whole place is made for mountain biking. Pick somewhere (forest, moorland, town or trail centre) and we could supply you with enough MTB-ing routes for a year.
  • jeffers696
    cheers guys, i am well intrested in the natural single track. ye got a car so its no problem. plenty of camping sites around these areas i imagine? whitch ones would you advise to ride?
    OnOne 456
  • garsr6
    yeah campsites everywhere, the whole of scotlands a campsite. pitch up pretty much anywhere you want.

if its natural you want then aviemore is the place to be, you could spend two weeks there and not see it all. also http://www.basecampmtb.com/ is close by and on the way to ft bill from aviemore. biking maps of the area are available from the bike shops in aviemore.

inverness has a campsite on the road to ft bill and there is masses of singletrack 2 mins away from it as well as a dh track or two, + 5 minute walk to the city centre for a bit of rowdy!!

heres a link to the trail centres close by http://www.mtb-highland.com/ have a good look at that site and you could plan your trip according to the map they have on it. you could do a loop (by car ,not bike :wink: ) stopping on the way, aviemore to ft bill to inverness and back down to aviemore.

highland wildcat is the best trail centr in scotland imho, better than gt or inners. def worth the trip north.[/url]http://www.highlandwildcat.com/

beware though, you may not want to leave once you have been here!!!lol
  • garsr6
    woops, just copy and paste that highland wildcat link.