Wales Trip

robbiemagic
robbiemagic Posts: 132
edited May 2008 in MTB rides
Me and some mates are planning a MTB hol in Wales, just a long weekend, where would anyone recommend? And do you know any good accomodation?
"Second place is the first loser"
Orange Five SE
Orange P7 one

Comments

• RZASKAR
    RZASKAR Posts: 60
    Which part of wales, if you are looking to come up to North Wales then you have coed y Brenin, the marin trails, Penmachno and Llandegla as well as a hugh amount of non trail centre rideing. Defo worth a trip up to North Wales, give me a shout if you are heading up and I can point you in the right direction.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    North wales has proper mountains, and on the whole, we don't talk funny!
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    I enjoyed Afan in South Wales, everyone was very helpful. loads of trails for a long weekend.

Check out http://www.mbwales.com/ click on one of the trail centre and go to accomodation for some places to stay.

Or google it..
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    north is better in my opinion, but cwm carn is the best in the south
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • Anonymous
    Although if you're looking for a night out, then the south is definitely better. Cardiff is a hoot!
  • robbiemagic
    Thanks for your replys, think we have decided on north wales for 4 days. What trials would you say are the best?
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one
  • jeffers696
    coed y brenin #1

http://www.mbwales.com/

prity good tells you all about trail centrs in wales
    OnOne 456
  • Anonymous
    You want to do trials? I wouldn't know about that, but if you want some decent trails, then the MBR route and Tarw at Coed y Brenin and the llandegla red+black runs are worth checking out.

I have to add, that in my opinion, you should miss out the Marin trail in Betws y Coed.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Assuming you will be travelling for part of days 1 and 4 I would recommend the following, starting in the West and then working Eastwards:-

Day 1 Dolgellau. Coed Y Brenin - 'The Tarw' (20km)
    Day 2 Dolgellau. Coed Y Brenin - 'Dragons Back' (31km) or 'The Beast' (38km) (if you are hard enough!)
    Day 3 Betws Y Coed. Either Penmachno Loop 1 and 2 (30km) or Penmachno Loop 1 (18km) and then the Marin (25km) (would recommend a break in between!).
    Day 4 Llandegla. Black route (21km).

Stu
  • Anonymous
    Or, if you don;t fancy doing something quite as long as the Dragon's Back, or the Beast, then you should try the MBR route which has some of the best singletrack I've ever ridden.

And I'd repeat that you should miss the Marin trail. I wouldn't recommend that to anybody when there's so much more, and better riding to be had.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    To be honest, i have ridden north and south,

and south has the best trail, i have ridden. but there are slightly more to choose in north, we have about 3-4 good trail centers in the south.
  • jeffers696
    Or, if you don;t fancy doing something quite as long as the Dragon's Back, or the Beast, then you should try the MBR route which has some of the best singletrack I've ever ridden.

seconded, its my fave at coed y brenin
    OnOne 456
  • robbiemagic
    Most of us favour the north, it seems like we plan on doing 3 days riding in total. Are there any good chalets in the north which will sleep 5 people?
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Worth a trip down south next time though as we have some great riding down here too !!
  • norfolkguy
    norfolkguy Posts: 114
    I'm coming to mid/south wales the week of 26th may for 5 days if anyone interested in meeting . see other post in 'Routes' section of forum.