To Spend Or Not....

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited May 2008 in Road general
This is rapidly becoming for reasons unclear my second favourite bike of last 30 or so! Obviously not visually nor "on paper" (and about 1/17th of "best" in price terms!).

It is tempting me to squander money on it - it needs a proper respray and transfers (£100??) and a new b/b and cranks (£75??). Can't be worth it really, can it?

nice4.jpg
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Yes i can see why .Is the paint work etc original?
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    "Is the paint work etc original?"

Entirely as far as I can tell. And my favourite bike colour!
    d.j.
  • surely if this is becoming your favourite ride then it's worth it. Maybe sort it out mechanically then work on the cosmetics?
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • meagain
    "Maybe sort it out mechanically...."

Mechanically it is FINE! Even cranks is really only a cosmetics thing. Wheels just rebuilt with new s/s spokes. Brakes good. Saddle perfect! Just the bit-rough-in- parts paint that detracts.
    d.j.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,418
    Get a powder coat for £40. <joke>

If it gives you a lot of pleasure then surely getting it painted is worth it? I've used Atlantic Boulevard before for a respray of a Pinarello I had and they did a superb job. I'd recommend them.
  • hosiescott
    hosiescott Posts: 77
    ...bob jackson seems to do box lining too if you're feeling flush ! lovely bike those mafacs only just make it :) ,.. where on the canal (river?) is that taken... looks very peaceful
  • meagain wrote:
    It is tempting me to squander money on it - it needs a proper respray and transfers (£100??) and a new b/b and cranks (£75??).

sorry missunderstood
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • meagain
    hosiescott wrote:
    ...bob jackson seems to do box lining too if you're feeling flush ! lovely bike those mafacs only just make it :) ,.. where on the canal (river?) is that taken... looks very peaceful

I THINK can still get the transfers, rather than need for box lining. Mafacs? Nay, common or garden Weinmanns! Scenery is Trent Lock, start of the Trent and Mersey Canal i think?

B/B and cranks ARE very basic - but fully functional. I've done at least 500 miles on it since I "fixed" it.
    d.j.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    It's not even a choice really - if you love the bike as much as it deserves then you HAVE to show it. Buy it a nice new coat.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • meagain
    "I've done at least 500 miles"

Just checked - 732 to be precise!

As you say, Buick, she does deserve a new coat....oh.....mi........gawd, this is a BIKE I'm talking about!
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    I have just found a place that will do stove enamel {limited choice of colours} for £50 .
    Shot basted ,primed,one coat of enamel.Taken two frame to be done . Will post results in picture from .
    bagpuss
  • krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    bagpusscp wrote:
    I have just found a place that will do stove enamel {limited choice of colours} for £50 .
    Shot basted ,primed,one coat of enamel.Taken two frame to be done . Will post results in picture from .

Eagerly anticipated here... ;-)
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Dave, I have always maintained Raleighs are underrated. Would you like a pic of the original catalogue? It was a handsome bike. If it rides well do it. As you know I have no time for cycle snobbery.
  • meagain
    Just so Rob: some of their top stuff (particularly that which in later years was sold almost exclusively in USA) was/is up with the best. Any catalogue stuff would be great.

When it comes to ye olde bike pricing it is no coincidence that snobbery rhymes with robbery!!
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    I ride this almost every day .For work ,even training on.{I think this made be over stating the word training} How about getting to the cafe on :wink:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 675787816/

also a link into more Raleighs here;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 675787816/

Back in 1992 I rode E to E on a mid 80's RRA .It had lovely angles etc .Original light green paint finish was poor .However a stove enamel job soon sorted it .I rue the day it found a new home. :cry:
    bagpuss