Fuji Ace as first road bike?

arewenotmen
arewenotmen Posts: 17
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm doing about 100 miles a week commuting by road on a mountain bike, which is still great fun but can't be the most efficient way to get around. I also do maybe 60 at the weekend on trails, so changing tyres/wheels & chain would be a pain, and wouldn't solve problems like unsuited gear ratios.

This makes me think I should get a road bike as well, but I've never even ridden one, so I've no idea if I'd enjoy it. I figure I should get hold of a cheapish one to try out before I spend silly money.

Someone at work's offering an 'as new' Fuji Ace for £275. This is a little outside my budget for this experiment, but I could probably do it.

What do you think, to that specifically and the idea in general? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    Be as cheeky as you can... and ask for an extended test ride. Ask him if it would be possible to ride it for a week, or even 3 days.

This is of course, assuming it is somewhere near the right size for you! If it isn't, don't. I'm guessing it might put you off road bikes for a long time if you got to home/work with aches and pains!

A decent road bike for £275 sounds okay... quick google suggests that it's US RRP is about $600, so £275 sounds a lot to me. Couldn't find specs to take a peek.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    If US rrp is 600$ ex tax, the UK rrp is probably around 500 pounds inc tax.

Another idea would be to try and get hold of a second hand touring bike like a Dawes Galaxy.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Price looks on the high side to me!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Swannie wrote:
    Be as cheeky as you can... and ask for an extended test ride. Ask him if it would be possible to ride it for a week, or even 3 days.

haha, I can picture the look on his face if you returned it after a week saying you're not interested! I think for buying a £275 bike, a spin up and down the road is pretty much what is expected. "Can I take it home for a week to see how I get one?" ...."erm, no." :lol: