Allez is Here !!!! (+ mini review)

daz51
daz51 Posts: 159
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

I got my Allez Triple this weekend just gone (£549) and i thought i would post some thoughts for anyone else looking to purchase one.

First of all for the money it is brilliant. Specialized promote this bike for amateur enthusiasts to take their riding to the next level and the bike does that well. I rode 35 mile on it with ease the other evening.

The frame is brilliant and is one of the lightest in this sector of bikes. I beleive the whole bike ways around 20 - 21 lb. The componentry is also good with the nice Sora crank and Tiagra rear mech. All the gearing works well together and is very smooth. The weight of the bike makes climbing a diddle and i was suprised what i could do.

It is worth setting this bike up right to get the best performance. i.e. saddle height , stem length etc.

overall it is brilliant though for the money and would give £800 bikes a run for their money. Do not get me wrong though, it is no carbon fibre competition machine etc.

Other peoples thoughts would be good on this ............................

Comments

• graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    People will always point out the 'better value' of some online deals compared to the Allez and similar 'entry level' models but I'm of the opinion that Specialized (and Giant/Tek) have got it right with a more relaxed geometry than a full on road-race bike and this is where some of the internet deals fall down - so whilst Ribble/Focus/Kinesis etc. all offer much better value on paper, I don't think they actually cater for the beginner that well.

Just my tuppence worth.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Graham G wrote:
    People will always point out the 'better value' of some online deals compared to the Allez and similar 'entry level' models but I'm of the opinion that Specialized (and Giant/Tek) have got it right with a more relaxed geometry than a full on road-race bike and this is where some of the internet deals fall down - so whilst Ribble/Focus/Kinesis etc. all offer much better value on paper, I don't think they actually cater for the beginner that well.

Just my tuppence worth.

I worry about online deals, yes they are great value for money, but you really need to try a bike first to see how it fits. The only way to do it is to go to a bike shop, but what happens to them if we then buy on line?

It's a tough one
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    if you buy online and theres something wrong when it arrives what do you do ? apart from packing it up and sending it back , which is a lot of hassle . support your lbs .
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "but you really need to try a bike first to see how it fits"

Unless one is significantly outside the physiological *norm*, then given the variety of sizes/types of stem, seat post and bars and cranks available these days I really don't see why that is the case. As long as have access to an accurate drawing and KNOW the crucial deciding measurements that one needs then that is sufficient IMO/E.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain wrote:

Unless one is significantly outside the physiological *norm*, then given the variety of sizes/types of stem, seat post and bars and cranks available these days I really don't see why that is the case. As long as have access to an accurate drawing and KNOW the crucial deciding measurements that one needs then that is sufficient IMO/E.

This is something that comes from experience of owning a few bikes though and therefore for a begginer going down the bike shop is the better option
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    meagain wrote:

I agree with meagain - why do you need to try bikes? I find I'm comfortable on most bikes and a wide range of sizes. The only time I might find out whether it truely fits is 50 or so miles into ride - how many bikes shops allow you to take a bit out for that long?

As long you're not a newbie you should know what geometry you want, and most online sites seem to give the bikes geometry so you can work it out yourself.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Well done on your choice Sir :D I love my Allez, as a first bike in 20 years she is as comfortable and as much fun as I had hoped for. I went for the compact though as North West London isnt quite as hilly as other parts of our fair isle. :)
    The componentry is also good with the nice Sora crank and Tiagra rear mech

Hhmm, not too sure about that :roll: I now hate my Sora Shifters and my ugly heavy Sora crankset :lol: Im champing at the bit to change the whole groupset, the money is burning a hole in my pocket, I just need to make my mind up between Ultegra, Centaur and Rival :D . You will also find that all and sundry will recommend new wheels as a first upgrade. I have handbuilt Mavic Open Pros now which are lighter and notably stiffer than the Alex Rims that came with the bike as standard.

However, please dont worry about any of the above yet. I have just been suckered in a bit more than most. It really is a great bike for £500.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    Nothing wrong with Sora. I've been commuting and weekend riding on my Allez for a year now and haven't had to adjust the gears once.
    This is very different to my Acera equipped MTB, which requires adjusting all the time.
    You can't really go wrong for £500.
    A few months ago I purchased some Tiagra shifters on Thegumtree. It was a chance find at £20.
    I thought for that price I may as well upgrade to 9 speed when the Sora components wear out. The problem is the components just keep on working, and the shifting is fine.
    I can't justify the upgrade until something fails.
  • LingfieldXC
    LingfieldXC Posts: 134
    what do you think of these two:

CUBE Peloton http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/PELOTON_id_21066_.htm

CUBE Attempthttp://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ATTEMPT_id_21041_.htm;jsessionid=3BEAE4DF5CD71167516267F97C5A1BAA

I was wondering as the spec seems pretty good. I am comparing them to the trek 1 series. And also what is the opinion on SRAM? in terms of what differences between it and 105?
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    Can i make one thing clear about Cube !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although their bikes overall are good with the componentry,

They get lower prices by using OLDER frames. so your really buying a 2 or 3 year old frame.

This is according to the bike shop we use which deal with Cube directly
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I have an Allez Sport, which I got a good deal on when the 2008 bikes came out.

The only think I can fault was the tyres, but only after a flat. Change for Vittoria Rubino Pros and it's spot on again.

I jst wish we'd get some better weather......
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • everogere
    everogere Posts: 68
    I have an Allez Sport which I have been riding for about 18 months. I loved it straight from the off and over this time I have uprated to Shimano 560 wheels, Pro Race 2 tyres, and a full Ultrega groupset which has transformed an already nice bike . Good choice daz51 Im sure you will enjoy your purchase.