Garmin 305 maps

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
edited May 2008 in Workshop
been using my garmin for a while now and its turned out to be a great tool. Defo helps me keep on pace.

But to plan routes means I need maps, but I find myself somewhat reluctant to spend alot of money on maps, eg. memory map.

Is there any other inexpensive way of plotting a course.

Comments

• JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    I use http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/ it's a little clunky (in you need to zoom in to your location) but I find it perfectly suitable.

You can set various options like units, which side of the road etc etc and then review and download a route which you can then transfer onto your garmin.

Probably worth doing a short route to begin with just to test your settings are usable. I didn't and constantly had the garmin beep that I've lost course and found a course etc etc.
  • Noel PT
    thanks mate, I'll give it a go.
  • Noel PT
    Hmmm, I see what you mean clunky.....

I suppose it just one of those things that I need a bit more practice with.

If I can get it to work, I reckon it will help significantly.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    http://www.mapmyride.com is more user friendly, just remember to click 'Follow Roads' when defining a route.

When you have a completed a route then export it as a Garmin .crs file and import it as a course into the Garmin software on your PC.

I haven't looked back since discovering this site and more importantly haven't got lost.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    So do these online route mappers actually export the base map as well as the grid ref points for the GPS unit?
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    Graham G wrote:
    So do these online route mappers actually export the base map as well as the grid ref points for the GPS unit?

Not the map but they do export the route. What I mean by this is you can't see a map with a turning on the left, the edge of the town on the right etc but it does show you the route to follow. It will alert you if you go off course and you'll see turns and bend in the road by the corners and wiggles on the route line you are following.

I think the latest version of the Garmins show maps like in a car but they cost a lot more and the route you get on the 205/305 is absolutely fine for cycling.

I'm not sure what the memory limits for a course are, I have about 15 routes in mine with a total length of possibly 400-500 miles, it hasn't complained about memory limits yet.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • Noel PT
    Nice one Gav, I'll give it a go.

I tried that other site (much appreciated Jonburns) but I can seem to get my head around it, cause it takes the most direct route and that is often the wrong way around a roundabout or down the way on a one way.

But all and all, my 305 is a fantastic piece of kit. Money well spent. The 705 does look tempting, but to be honest I would never use it to its full potential.