Any views on The North Face Trail, Grizedale Forest?

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Am up in the Lakes this weekend. I won't be able to take my bike, but am thinking of hiring and trying TNF route in Grizedale Forest, leaving others in a tea shop with a newspaper! I'm not massively experienced, but have done Llandegla Blue and Red, the Marin route (3h) and Penmachno (3h - both loops) without any great problems.

Any ideas roughly how long it may take? I don't want to abandon everyone else for too long, but can leave them for a bit within reason. I'm reasonably fit now, but not superfit and not particularly fast on descent. However, it's only the board sections that I don't like, although I realise there are a good few of these on TNF.

Any comments gratefully received - thinking of hiring a full-suss! :lol:

Cheers,

Judith

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    Full sus XC bike would do it in about 3hrs I can do Llandegla Black or red on full sus or hardtail in about 2 to 2.5hrs depending on how many breaks I have.

I have only been once but from what I can remember.

You should expect the first 2km to be an aggresive climb with the 3km after that being flatter but still uphill. After that it's a mixture of flat and downhill with some mild uphill.
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    yes ridden it a few times. As mentioned there is a climb to start with. initially its just a boring climb then you get into the single track which disguises it somewhat.

I dont know the length because we always go off piste so to speak and ride round the countryside for part of it.

There is a fair bit of board walk, but its all pretty easy - but there are a few skinny bits to challenge yourself if you fancy it (they are optional so you dont have to ride the think bits). just look ahead and keep your momentum up. You will be fine.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    NFT is 10 miles IIRC, not too much in the way of climbing. Boardwalk sections, some are off camber and some are quite narrow. Take 'em at a steady pace and stay off the brakes, or use them gently as they can be very slippy if wet/ damp.... saying that, they aren't too much of a problem. 1hr 30 should see you round quite easily.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • judith_sw
    Thanks - if the boardwalk is very slippy, is there any alternative (other than walking on them)? I don't want to get stranded and am willing to give them a try. I'm OK on the shorter sections, but get really put off when there's a bit of a drop!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    judith_sw wrote:
    Thanks - if the boardwalk is very slippy, is there any alternative (other than walking on them)?

You can generally skip those sections by sticking to the fire roads. The boardwalk is quite fun though so I'd suggest you try it if possible (bloomin weather...).

Oh, and the cumberland sausage and onion marmalade sandwiches are brilliant when you get back to the start.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    This is where the NFT falls down. There are no "chicken runs" around the boardwalk sections (aside from a skinny along a log right towards the end, which you can bypass).

There is so much good riding in the area around Grizedale that the NFT kind of feels misplaced - what I tend to do is cherry-pick the best bits and work it into a route around the forest using other tracks, bridleways and fire-roads.

There are other way-marked routes within the forest of various length but they are nearly all on fire-roads. Still very spectacular though if not very demanding.

I don't want to be a gloomy-puss, but some other things to bear in mind -

Have you got a hire bike booked? Don't forget it is a Bank Holiday this weekend, so the bikes at Grizedale Cycles will get snapped up pretty quickly if they haven't already.

Get there EARLY! Grizedale is VERY popular and the parking spots soon fill up.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    The boardwalks don't get overly slippy like the log run at llandegla. I'd say even with a good nights rain there's nothing to loose grip on.
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    I hired a bike in Grizedale a few weeks back. I got told afterwards that I shouldn't have taken their base spec hardtail on the NFT but it coped - sort of. :)

I've never ridden a man made trail before so one or two of the bigger boardwalks were a bit intimidating at 1st but in reality I had no real problems as long as I took it steady. I didn't notice any problems with it being slippy and it had been raining most of the week and a few showers that day.

You can take as long or as short a time there as you want. I spent 3 hours with my wife and kids on the fire roads then an hour on my own on the trails. (managed 3 sections)

btw. when you say leave the others in a tea shop do you mean the one at the visitors centre? Because when I was there it was shut because of all the refurb work they are doing. It might be open again now though.
  • judith_sw
    Did TNF trail on Saturday morning and really enjoyed it - it took 1h40, but I was trying to get it done reasonably quickly, having left others in the car reading papers! Yes, the indoor tea-shop is shut, but it was actually warm enough to sit out, fortunately!

The board sections were varied, although I definitely got better at them during the ride. They weren't at all slippery, but some of the narrow ones with bends were too hard for me and I resorted to feet down. Later on I got a lot more confident. It was surprisingly quiet. A great ride - I'd do it again. It was varied and interesting. Youtube videos helped me know what I was letting myself in for!

BTW, I ruined my middle chainring, but the guys at the hire centre were fantastic and fitted a new one while I waited, with almost negligeable labour (£2!!!). Highly recommended, honest and helpful! :D
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Glad you liked it, the wooden bits can be a little intimidating at first. While there is grip on them generally, the last thing you want to do is lock up a wheel on them. If they are wet/ damp and you lock up you will go down like a sack of shite- I know! :lol: While its not the most demanding of rides- compared with Penmachno and the like, it is a place I enjoy but I also like to go "off piste" there as well.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....