£300ish wheelset

deal
deal Posts: 857
edited May 2008 in Workshop
looking to replace the useless wheels that came with my bike. I weigh a little less than 12 stone (and still dropping 8) ) and am mainly going to be using them for sportives. a friend recommended three wheels around this price but i seek the opinion of people more wise than him (hope he isnt reading :P )

ps the wheels recommended were:
Compagnolo Zonda
American Classic CR 420
Reynolds Solitude

are these wheels anygood ? any recommendations other than these ?

cheers

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been running some AC420s since the beginning of the year and so far, so good. They're pretty light but the low spoke count and hub profile means lateral stiffness isn't a strong point - only really noticeable when riding hard e.g race-pace. If you can stretch your budget, its also worth considering Campagnolo Neutrons or a pair a handbuilts from the likes of Paul Hewitt or Harry Roland.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    deal wrote:
    looking to replace the useless wheels that came with my bike. I weigh a little less than 12 stone (and still dropping 8) ) and am mainly going to be using them for sportives. a friend recommended three wheels around this price but i seek the opinion of people more wise than him (hope he isnt reading :P )

ps the wheels recommended were:
    Compagnolo Zonda
    American Classic CR 420
    Reynolds Solitude

are these wheels anygood ? any recommendations other than these ?

cheers

of the three you mention, I have experience of the Zondas and Solis and like them both.

they ride differently. The zondas are a bit harsher and feel a bit heavier and more solid. somewhat better hubs IMO, but not that reynolds are bad.

I'd probably go for the zondas of the two.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... AMPWHFR425

Campag Neutrons - Job done (about £315 delivered). I've got the Ultras but I doubt there's much in it and mine are very good.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ritchy Protocols are nice wheels - got a 9 in recent C+ test.

£280 fromm Wiggle.
  • y tin
    y tin Posts: 102
    Surprised no-ones mentioned handbuilt wheels. Campag Record hubs & open pro rims (or dura-ace hubs & open pro rims). You'll get them for much less than your £300.

But if it was my money its another recommendation for the Campag Neutrons - good light strong wheels.
    >^..^<
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    y tin wrote:
    Surprised no-ones mentioned handbuilt wheels.

Monty did.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    thanks for the suggestions, what are the advantages/disadvantages of hand builts ?

The open pro rims dont seems to have the deep rim that some of the factory wheels mentioned do have, also some of the wheels like the zondas have bladed spokes, does the profile and bladed spokes offer any real aero effect or if it just a marketing gimmick?
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    deal wrote:
    thanks for the suggestions, what are the advantages/disadvantages of hand builts ?

The open pro rims dont seems to have the deep rim that some of the factory wheels mentioned do have, also some of the wheels like the zondas have bladed spokes, does the profile and bladed spokes offer any real aero effect or if it just a marketing gimmick?

DISADVANTAGES: They are generally not as pretty as factory wheels. Can be heavy if not spending decent money (with a budget of £300 this won't be too much of a problem).

ADVANTAGES: Can be built to suit your weight/riding style. Tend to be more easily (or at least quickly) repaired should anything go wrong. Just try quickly popping into your LBS for a Ksyrium or Fulcrum spoke and you'll see why regular double butted DT or Sapim spokes can sometimes be a good idea. Saying that, you're only 12 stone so are unlikely to be breaking spokes on a regular basis.

Going the handbuilt route doesn't stop you from a deeper rim or bladed spokes. The Mavic CXP33 for instance (I'm sure there are others) and spokes like the Sapim CX Rays or DT Aerolites. The spokes especially are quite expensive though and some wheelbuilders aren't keen using them cause they can be a pain to build with. Would make a tasty set of wheels though.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    If you're after Campag there is a pair on Ebay which finish today. Tune hubs on Mavic rims with Sapim spokes. Not the lightest but the Tune hubs are superb. I've got a pair and they're a notch again above Record.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tune-Mavic-Sapim- ... dZViewItem
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Easton wheels always get good write ups. In fact they got 9/10 in this months cycling plus review. The EA70's are within your budget.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I have the Zondas and am very happy with them. So happy in fact I have just bought the identically shaped but Shamal Ultras as my race wheels for this season, but the Zondas will still be handling the everyday rides and be there as race day spares.

Simon