Exmouth Exodus June 14th

Swannie
Swannie Posts: 107
Hello,

I'm thinking quite seriously about doing this Bristol to Exmouth night ride. I will probably book my train ticket in the next few days (not 100% sure I'm free that night, but should be).

Just wondering if there was anyone in the Bristol/Bath area that is training for it? It will be my longest ride by about 2.3 times! Have done a couple of 40mile afternoon's, averaging about 11 - 13 mph over the time on the bike. Thinking I need a handful of longer rides, ideally a few at night. I think I have my hill training underway, cycling up some of the meaner hills in Bath at least once a week.

And it would be nice to meet up with some people beforehand!

Comments

• graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I'm in Bristol (about 2 miles from the starting point!), planning to ride as long as I don't have a seriously good excuse not to!

It'll be my first 100 miler, so I've got a bit of work to do too - 61 miles is my maximum so far and the point at which I'm feeling the pain :D
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'm thinking about it too. Don't have any night-riding kit but can easily sort that.

Not so worried about the distance, more worried about getting pelters from p*ssed up punters in Channings at 10.30 on a Saturday night! Why on earth do they start the ride from there?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • vbc
    vbc Posts: 1,104
    I did the first ride in 2006 but missed last year's after a nasty accident a few weeks before the ride.

I wouldn't worry too much about the distance or the hills, if you can do 60 miles without suffering too much then you should be OK for 100. The hills aren't too steep either and it somehow seems a bit easier when you have a bunch of people with you.

The main thing is to be comfortable on the bike, contact points etc and make sure it's in good order. I really would invest in a good pair of shorts/bib shorts though, well worth it. Also, make sure the lights that you plan to use will be bright enough for the pitch dark. I did see some riders with inadequate lights on the night.

I'm trying to get some longer rides in over the next month as I've only done a few shorter rides since getting out of hospital, if anyone wants a few training runs, let me know. a run out to Burrington Combe and back would be good.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    edited May 2008
    I'm thinking of giving the Exodus a go too.

My biggest ride so far is the 55mile http://www.forcecancercharity.co.uk/ccc08/ from Topsham.

I commute around 80 - 100 miles a week so I'm hoping to have the stamina to cope with the distance. It's going to be one hell of a struggle though!

Look out for a 19 stone bloke collapsed in a heap next to his Tricross at the side of the road!

Good luck to all who take part.

Stu
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    The Exmouth Exodus web site if anyone is interested.

http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk/

Stu