CHEAP Wheels.

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited April 2008 in Workshop
Any particular reason why I shouldn't buy these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RL:GB:1120

70 quid and I can collect for nowt.

Just want a spare pair for a Sirrus - one set with x23s and one with 28s for different weather/terrain.

Anything else I can buy better for that sort of money? Nearest I can find is to build for myself with 105 hubs and bottom end Mavics - cost be a 100 quid (my labour *free*).

Strength/longevity not really an issue.
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    meagain wrote:
    Strength/longevity not really an issue.

So what are your concerns then?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You should be able to get some Shimano WH-R500s for less than that delivered from Ribble - I've no issues with them over the last 6 months.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
  • meagain
    "So what are your concerns then?"

None occur to me - just wondered if I was missing something obvious that screamed "poor quality even at the peanuts price!".

Thanks, I'll compare the other possibles.
    d.j.
  • I've got both Shimano R500 and the Quest Como wheels - both excelent for the money (if a bit heavy - but then these are training wheels right ?)
  • meagain
    I've got both Shimano R500 and the Quest Como wheels - both excelent for the money (if a bit heavy - but then these are training wheels right ?)

With current 10% off over 50 quid at Ribble the next model up Shimanos are just under 80 notes incl postage - seems a good price compared with what it'd cost me to build my own.

Training? Oh nothing that serious! Just a sedate 20-30 mile potter. Often off-tarmac hence two sets of wheels/tyres - can't be bothered swapping tyres when I decide where I'm going at 7 each morning.

OTOH I prefer the looks of the American Classics....
    d.j.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
  • meagain
    Thanks for that link - not brill then, but this "No amount of abuse knocked them out of true though, and no spokes came loose despite our best efforts and even a bit of cheeky cyclocross." sounds a big plus!
    d.j.
  • The AC topanga's are basically the same as the Quest Como's - but 20 quid more.
  • meagain
    BUT the Quests are apparently only available with Campag compatable freehubs.
    d.j.
  • giant_man
    No Shimano as well. I know cos i have some.
  • meagain
    No Shimano as well. I know cos i have some.

Well, Campag-only on the Quest web site - and I can't find 'em anywhere else!
    d.j.
  • I've got Shimano freehub - as have loads of other !. Campag freehubs are a tnner extra (and they don't tend to stock these as much as Shimano)

Give 'em a ring.
  • May have run out of Shimano stocks...........like I said give 'em a ring. You can always order them on backorder(which I did).
  • giant_man
    You won't find them anywhere else cos there's only one shop i think. Speak to the boss man whose man i can't remember at present, top bloke!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Another alternative to the R500's are the R550's - I've used both, and both are competent enough training wheels for the price - currently on the R550's though - another Shimano alternative in that price bracket might be the new RS10s?
  • meagain
    Thanks all for great info and help.

Agreed to buy a slightly used pair of Aksiums in response to my WTD WHEELS ad on the Road Classifieds. They can wear the skinny slicks and the Firs on at present can have the chunkies!

Result!
    d.j.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    meagain wrote:
    Thanks all for great info and help.

Agreed to buy a slightly used pair of Aksiums in response to my WTD WHEELS ad on the Road Classifieds. They can wear the skinny slicks and the Firs on at present can have the chunkies!

Result!

typical - to late - I have a set of R561s with rubino slick tyres on them that you could have had - never mind - the aksiums are sweet wheels - you'll enjoy them on the sirrus
  • meagain
    Sorry! Typical indeed.....then two x two roll along at once!
    d.j.