pump on bike?

jeffcapeshop
jeffcapeshop Posts: 30
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
is there any reason not to have a pump mounted on my bike? i keep seeing suggestions to put it in your back pocket but it seems crazy when the bike can do the work for you.. is it just vanity?

Comments

• hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    There was a post recently where someone said they wont mount it on the bike because of spoiling th elines of the bike.

Crazy in my opinion, but each to their own. I have a mini pump mounted beside one of the bottles, and when you put the bottle in the cage you don't really see the pump.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I keep mine on my bike with levers and inner tubes in a little saddle pack. I used to carry them in pockets but was always losing them in the house and spending 10 mins looking for them when i wanted to be riding. So for me it just makes more sense to have them on the bike.

(now where did i leave my bike :lol: )
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    I use an old fashioned frame pump - that way i don't forget to put it in my pocket! (let's face, if you p%^&ture, it's bound to be the day you left it in another jersey!) It even matches the colour of the bike, so i reckon it looks pretty good.

Rich
  • I have a bottle-cage pump. The only problem with it is that sometimes I kick it when mounting and then if falls off. But if I kept it about my person I'd certainly lose it.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    The reason for not putting in your pocket is the likelihood of causing injury in the event of a crash.

That said I currently put mine in my pocket as it ruins the lines of my bike. :oops:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    is there any reason not to have a pump mounted on my bike? i keep seeing suggestions to put it in your back pocket but it seems crazy when the bike can do the work for you.. is it just vanity?

I had mines mounted to my bike at the bottle cage. After a year it had rubbed through the paint to the Alu. It depends on what stype of mount and make that you get. I have the mini-rocket topeak carbon pump and its so light weight that you do not find it a problem in your back pockets.

And if your cycling your bike uphill the weight of the pump where its placed does not matter as your are still pushing the same weight against gravity. :D
    Brian B.
  • Brian B wrote:
    And if your cycling your bike uphill the weight of the pump where its placed does not matter as your are still pushing the same weight against gravity. :D

i've always found that if i'm wearing/carrying anything (rucksack, water in back pocket etc) i seem to get a lot more tired than if it's on the bike (behind-saddle bag, bottle cage) - maybe it's just me though ;)
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Frame-fit pump for me every time. I don't want to be footling around with a wee pump if I get a punct*re, I want to get air into the inner tube - fast! All my bikes have a Blackburn Frame Pump on them. I haven't had any problems with this model yet. As for ruining the lines of a bike, surely an ungainly bottle cage does this :?:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I have a policy of letting the bike carry the weight rather than me. I carry as little as possible in my pockets and avoid anything hard that might cause extra injury in the event of a tumble.

The only problem with frame-fit pumps is that they take up the space of a second bottle cage. I'm currently using a small bottle-cage mounting one which seems to be quite efficient when I tried it out at home. Not needed to use it on the road as yet.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I have a Blackburn frame pump along the seat tube of my daily commuting bike. It stays put perfectly well with just the spring tension even on the bumpiest of roads. The only problem is that every other day it gets pushed out by my shoulder when I am carrying the bike up the stairs (I live on the 5th floor). On one occasion it bounced nearly all of the way down and loudly banged off one of my neighbor's doors...
  • C-S-B
    C-S-B Posts: 117
    The only problem with frame-fit pumps is that they take up the space of a second bottle cage.

What about under the top tube?
    I squeeze one of my dads old pumps between the headtube and seat-tube and masking tape it onto the top tube ( I realize some may see this as an unforgiveable crime..)
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    The reason for not putting in your pocket is the likelihood of causing injury in the event of a crash.

i can confirm this hurts alot :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I had a MTB frame mount Zefal pump and had a pump peg brazed on the LH seatstay when I had it refurbed @ Argos, page 1187 summer 08 Cat. :lol: and mounted the pum there. no problems with taking bottle cages out of the equation.

20+ years ago me and my Dad rode from Bath up the K+A but they were doing a lot of hedge trimming so we had numerous punctures. At one of these stops we forgot to remount the pump so borrowed one and ended up in Malborough on a sunday afternnon desperate for a pump, monday being a BH. We offered the landlord's son of the pub we were drinking in £10 for his pump and he turned down the offer :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    I use a Specialized mini pump, it's attached to one of the bottle cage mounts.

Don't really notice it is there at all.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    C-S-B wrote:
    The only problem with frame-fit pumps is that they take up the space of a second bottle cage.

What about under the top tube?
    I squeeze one of my dads old pumps between the headtube and seat-tube and masking tape it onto the top tube ( I realize some may see this as an unforgiveable crime..)
    On my old Ridgeback I had a frame mounted pump that kept falling off with even the slightest bump. My solution was velcro. I bought about a foot of each tyoe of velcro - the scratchy and the fluffy (stop me if I'm getting too technical) - from an art shop and stuck them together, cut it into 2 loops and wrapped them around the pump and frame. Worked a treat.

The velcro came in different colours, so you can match it to the bike.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill