London-Paris ride. My story (and it's a good one!)

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
First off - wondering if anyone else is doing the London-Paris bike ride this summer for Action Medical (or any other organization).

Just want to share my story - and if anyone cares to sponsor me after reading it - then even better!

Photos and info can be found at www.action.org.uk/colinlynch - it's worth the click JUST to see the photos.

I lost a leg when I was 21 - and got really fat in recent years. Last November I started cycling (with my artificial leg) and started a diet. 4 months later I had lost 6 stone (80 pounds) and last weekend completed my first Sportive (80 miles through hilly terrain).

This summer I'm cycling from London to Paris to raise money for Action Medical Research.

So - click on the link and read my story and if you feel inspired - sponsor me. Just the cost of one inner tube. £3, £5, £10, £1 - whatever. Every penny helps! You can sponsor directly from the link.

And if anyone is also going on the ride or has done it before I'd love to hear from you!

All the best,
Colin

www.action.org.uk/colinlynch

Comments

• sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Congratulations and good luck Colin
  • Hi Colin,

Good to read your story, really inspiring to see how well you’ve done.

I’m doing the London to Paris ride too. My daughter was born two months premature and sadly passed away last December, so I’m doing the ride to support their ‘Touching Tiny Lives’ campaign.

What route are you doing? Sounds like the training is going pretty well, which Sportive did you do?

Cheers,

Dan.

P.S. Of course, I’d welcome any sponsorship too! Anyone who’s interested can read more about Lily’s story at http://www.action.org.uk/~danieljames or at http://www.heraldseries.net/mostpopular.var.2155293.mostviewed.fathers_marathon_ride_in_daughters_memory.php
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Go for it, have a good ride!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Abingdon77 wrote:
    Hi Colin,

What route are you doing? Sounds like the training is going pretty well, which Sportive did you do?

Cheers,

Dan.

Dan - I'm doing route 1 (Dover-Calais). I just did the Kirklees Sportive up around Huddersfield. Next up for me in just over a week is the Squires and Spires Sportive in Northamptonshire. I'm doing a shorter route this time (55 miles) so hope to push myself a little harder and go a little faster around this one.

I've entered a Sportive almost every two weeks up until the Paris ride so hopefully will be in tip-top condition by that time!

Col
  • Abingdon77
    Abingdon77 Posts: 56
    I'm doing route 3, which is now Dover to Calais too, so I might bump into you at the end of day one somewhere.

I've got a few rides lined up too. I'm doing the AMR Castle ride in May and the Chiltern Challenge in June. Both are 100 miles and the hills look tough but not too tough - so hopefully they'll be a good workout without killing me!!

All the best

Dan.