do I need to remove the glue on a tubular rim?

henderson_mk
henderson_mk Posts: 637
edited April 2008 in Workshop
Hi folks,
got myself a pair of am classic carbon 38 wheels... however, there's some old glue on the rim... not a lot, just a bit of residue so that the rim bed isn't perfectly smooth and that.
Question is, does this need to be removed fully before applying tub tape?

Also... I was trying to get a set of conti gp 4000s onto it to stretch... dear god... my hands are just not strong enough!! anyone any tips to make this easier?

marty
========================================
http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    To stretch the tubs, take your shoes off and put the tub underneath your put and pull the tub upwards. Work it around a few inches and repeat.

Why use tub tape? Just brush some tub glue on the rim and this will soften up the existing glue and you're ready for the tub, (which you should also have put some glue on and left this to dry).
  • yeah it kinda says on the instructions that came with the tubs not to stretch it that way? does this not damage something?

basically tape, because I'm new to this whole tub thing and it seems like a hell of lot of less hassle than having to do layers of glue and taking that amount of time with it. most of the guys I ride with who use tubs use tape too.
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If you pull gently, you should be ok. The problem is removing the cotton basetape, just stretch it, not rip it. But the best thing is to lever the tub on the rim and inflate and leave for a few days.

Personally I think tape is more hassle. When you come to remove the tub one day, if you puncture for example, the tape leaves a lot of residue on the rim. Unlike glue, it can't be wiped away with acetone (nail polish remover), you need to graft. So tape is good for the first time but can be a pain afterwards. Honestly gluing is childsplay, you just brush on some glue to the tub and the rim, let it dry, repeat and mount the tub.

If you can brush your teeth, you can glue a tub and there are plenty of how-to guides on the internet. Every pro team that uses tubs uses glue.