Pedals for my single speed

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

After much deliberation, I have finaly decided to get the Specialized Langster. But now I need new pedals for it.

Are there any considerations to take into account, considering its a single speed and possibly at some stage a fixie, if I got the bottle.

I am not looking to spend the earth but I don't wanna be replacing pedals anytime soon. So I would rather get it right the first time.

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've never used clipless for fixed but I never had a problem rotating a clipped pedal to get my foot in after starting off so I don't suppose it matters what you use. Perhaps double sided SPDs might make it easier to clip in without having to bother which way up the pedal is.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Hi there.

I'd second the vote for something double-sided, you want somethng that will just let you stomp in and go without thinking about it.

Personally I use Time Atacs.

Cheers, Andy
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Hi, I'm using double sided SPD's without problems. Did try single sided Looks and flipping the pedal was a pain in the backside. Ditto Andys' comment re stomping in.
    Yak
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    My choice for the same context was shimano m520's (pretty sure that's the right number). Clipless pedals, double sided and intended for off road use so you have lots of clearance (handy for going around corners on a fixed!) and you can go with shoes that it's possible to walk in! :D
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    i must be unique...

used LOOK/SPDR/keos on my road fixed...never felt need for dbl sided pedals ..

however if you not used to fixed go for some SPDs/Eggbeaters or time ATAC..speedplay would be my 1st coice tho if you want some good pedals..
  • I second the Shimano M520s - I use em on my fixed. I also use m540s on my geared bike - not much difference but a slightly slimmer peda/axle.
  • Noel PT
    I been using time ataks for years, I still got about 3 sets and I think they great.

My intention was to keep the SS as light and simplistic as possible.

I just asumed going with road pedals would be more beneficial than using mountain bike pedals

I do like the look of the m520's. They cheap enought too!

Thanks guys
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Ive got Crank bros Smarties on my fixie, but have to say Im not convinced the benefits of a double sided platform nor having a plastic base in case you cant find the cleat outweigh the ease of clipping into my good old Looks
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Go for shimano MTB spds, really easy to use, don't mind being neglected and the clip in/out is really nice. Dual sided is really useful as you'll get in quicker, I'd avoid CB if you plan on going fixed at any point as they sometimes explode dramatically and with no warning (read maintained every few weeks) and that'd cause you a really nasty accident on a fixie.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    I have happily used Shimano SPD SL 105 pedals on my Langster.

It is a fast light bike and I have not ever felt a need for needed double sided ones; the basic Shimano road pedals are in keeping with the whole feel of this basic practical machine.

I know others on this forum are very hostile to the whole approach of the Langster BUT there are quite a few like me who really rate them. Mine is the much maligned 'rust' coloured 2007 model.
  • Noel PT
    Yip, mine is also a 2007 rust coloured. I don't see the reason for the hostility towards the Langster. I must admit I haven't ridden any other single speeds but after my first proper ride today. I must say I am double stoked.

I must admit I do like the idea of very simplistic and that is my reason for wanting the road pedals. I have my Time ataks on now and they ok. I just wanna keep with the theme. I am even hesitant to put my lights and reflectors on it. (that was until I was almost hit by an ahole in a Subaru tonight.

Just going on a tangent here. But how much play should you chain have? (mine is a little squirly... :shock: )
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i have an 07 langster - also in the generally-disliked 'rust colour!

I love it - it was well priced , it's light and a whole load of fun,

I have changed the bars for s-works aero 'bullhorn' style and the saddle for a brown charge spoon - it;s a sweet bike.

by the way - I have time Xen (RXS type) on myroad bike and bought a set of the ROC atac 'S' for the langster - I thought they would feel the same as the XENs but they don't - in fact I hate them - i managed less than a mile in them and decided to go back to SPD's - so if you are interested in a set of as-new atacs give me a shout (PM)

the are these by the way:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... S%20Pedals

and here's my langster - 'cos I'm a picture tart:
    Image007-2.jpg
  • Noel PT
    I love the colour, I had the choice between the 07 and 08 and ended up choosing the 07 because I thought it looked better. (and the guy who was selling the 08 didn't even clean it before trying to flog it to me.

I am really happy with my buy, its only seem about 80 miles. The crank doesn't even have scuff marks.

I am not sure just yet about the ataks but, out of interest how much are you asking?

I am going to ordering the charge spoon asap!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the spoon suits it well - I have (finally) got the matching brown "leather-look" bar tape by charge too - just need to fit it.

Problem is - I have the upgrade bug for it (already) and am eyeing up a set of handmade wheels - mavic CXP33 on some sort of large flange-hub - plus a 105 grade front brake (and lose the back brake)

Since that photo it has gained a 'real' carbon seatpost (take yours out and you will see that the std one is a carbon-wrapped alloy affair - even though they advertise it as a 'carbon' one

pedals - well they were going to end up on ebay - i was looking for £30 + postage for them - paid £50 + postage and they have literally been ridden round the block only before `i decided I didn't like them.

that said - I really need to have a play with the cleats - my natural stance is 'heels-in' and i didnt't feel that these supported that, but I guess they might with some work.
  • Noel PT
    I also ride heals in, so having said that I might rather go with the XEN or Look not sure yet, thanks for the offer.

Wiggle has the Charge spoon on sale for £16.79.

Now my only problem is, how to swing the idea via my missus, that I need a new saddle, shoes, pedals and from what you have just told me a new seat post too, when I just bought another bike. I suppose it was a cheap bike considering. Maybe she'll go easy on me?...... probably not....