Assos Mille v rest of the world

lesdon499
lesdon499 Posts: 29
edited April 2008 in Workshop
I'm about to undertake Le Jog and whilst I have previously undertken long challenges, well for me, lasting 500 miles, nothing quite this big. anyhow, I have Endura FS260 shorts and wondered whether I would notice any difference using the Assos Mille S5's?

I can find loads of info on the shorts but no-one says they will makeany difference.

Apologies for any repetition

thanQ

Comments

• mekonta
    mekonta Posts: 58
    Assuming you have found them fairly comfortable so far - you would probably do this event in them and not think too much about the relative performance of the Enduras ...

However, once you've tried some Assos, you'd likely never dream of doing a long ride in another brand of shorts ever again. Assos have a feeling of quality that gives you a little psychological boost as much as anything, and a fit/attention to detail that makes them worth the money.

There's nothing wrong with most shorts costing half the money, and if you haven't tried Assos you'll likely never be unhappy with the other brands. So beware, once you've tried the 'steak of cycling shorts' it's a slippery slope and you'll be unhappy with hamburger chamois forever.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Don't change gear right before a long ride. If you're happy with something, keep it.

But longer term, mekonta is right. They are very good shorts, the best. They do last a long time and if ever the stitching comes undone, you just post them to Switzerland and they come back new. Not quite a lifetime guarantee but look at those £150 shorts as costing £25 per year!
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    What Mekonta said..
  • kant314
    kant314 Posts: 79
    what mekonta....except the bit about steak.
  • Compton77
    Compton77 Posts: 139
    I got my first pair of Assos bib shorts on Friday, only went in the have a look at them, though when i tried them on the fit was so comfortable it was a done deal. My Endura bib's are now pretty much redundant. I'd go for it..
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Does anybody know anywhere that has Assos shorts in Medium or Large? They'll all seem out of stock.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Does anybody know anywhere that has Assos shorts in Medium or Large? They'll all seem out of stock.

Parker seem to have '08's in stock, or '07 Equipe in a large?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

Parker seem to have '08's in stock, or '07 Equipe in a large?

Ribble had some Milles in med, and I placed my order.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Compton77
    Compton77 Posts: 139
    Geoffrey Butler in Croydon had some on Friday (where I got mine from), i think they had just got a new delivery of their latest lines..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

For what it's worth Excel Sports Boulder here in the good old USA has Assos models
    listed in their online catalog. Don't know if it's worth it for you to deal with them though.

Dennis Noward
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Primera in bournemouth are good for Assos. Prices are not bad either:

http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk/Ma ... px?manID=7

Once you go Assos, you rarely want to go back.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    I've got both versions of the FS260 - pro shorts and standard bib. The insert in the standard bib is poor imo, it seems to be made out of nothing more substantial than red felt. Not good for long rides. The 260 pro short insert is much more substantial synthetic material and much more confortable.

However neither are a patch on the Mille bib shorts I bought last year, with the Assos cream they're the best combination I've used.

I'm sure there are other makes worth considering eg Giordana, but my Assos look like they'll last for years.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    i have both teh assos & FS260 pro bibs...

i prefer extra bit of length in the endura but the assos stand up to regular washing better...

best chamois i have had is our new team impsport bibshorts....
    like sitting on a memory foam pillow !
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    I fell for all the hype on assos twice - 1 pair of shorts ( think they were F1?) and then recently an intermediate jacket. Everything people say about the fit is correct but I have found the quality to be below that of clothing costing half as much. Both items showed signs of severe wear within weeks - the chamois stitching came undone and the inside legs had "pluck" marks. Santinis and other brands costing 1/3 of the price show none of this after more than 5 years wear.
    The jacket showed pluck marks around the inside/outside of collar and below the back of the neck ( Helmet?), again within weeks. Now you may think that my saddle or helmet have nothing to do with Assos but I still argue that clothing costing a fraction has lasted far better and is treated with less care ( ie not washed in bags etc).
    I do believe the garments are made of very technical materials but contend that its not worth a jot if it doesn't last.
  • lesdon499
    lesdon499 Posts: 29
    Folks

thanks to those of you who replied. Am going for it and have placed the order! Have seen some reviews on quality but also commenting on the service Assos offer. Roll on 21 June and plenty of time to break them in before then! cheers :D