Slipping seatpost

Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
The seatpost is slipping down on my new Specialized Allez Elite, it's a carbon post in an alu frame.

I've tightened the collar as much as I dare and it still slips (it even rotates).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Try some Tacx Carbo Assembly Paste. You can also get a collar that fits on the post and prevents it slipping. Pro teams use them in Paris-Roubaix.

I don't know who sells the collars, but Probikekit supply them with their own carbon seatpost.
  • spivvy
    spivvy Posts: 51
    Tacx Carbon Assembly Compound seconded & you can probably ease the torque on the collar.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road- ... e_388.html
  • how tight should one tighten a carbon seatpost out of interest?
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I actually have a reflector on my carbon seat post which sits up against the frame. It adds a small amount of grip to stop the post from slipping down.

Gav,.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • spivvy
    spivvy Posts: 51
    I use a small allen key and make a guestimate I'm afraid.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    how tight should one tighten a carbon seatpost out of interest?

Without a torque wrech, just enough to stop it slipping :wink:

Try a dab of hairspray on the post - once it dries it sticks quite well.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I had the same problem and there is a solution on the FAQ of the specialized website (sorry don't have the link handy). Basically though it tells you to mark the correct seat height with tape. Use 200-400grit sandpaper and rub the inside of the seat post and also the carbon post below your tape mark.

Put the seat post back in using chalk dust to ensure it goes in smoothly. Tighten to correct setting.

SDince doing this I haven't had a problem.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    Thanks for the advice guys, the hairspray worked.... :D