Motorists threatening lollipop ladies.

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,702
edited June 2008 in Campaign
Just seen on BBC Midlands today that lollipop ladies in Nuneaton have started wearing cameras because they're getting threatened so often by drivers who are annoyed at being asked to stop.

What on earth is wrong with these people? It seems like something that would appear on The Onion instead of being reality.

Comments

• PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    take your pick, they are:
    dicks
    prats
    plonkers
    nob heads
    goons
    stupid
    arseholes
    thick
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Nope they are simply poor victimized individuals being persecuted by these appalling women (and men). These cameras are merely another stealth tax undermining the rghts of motorists!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I was waiting at a pelican crossing a couple of weeks back. The lights were on red, the lollipop lady was in the road (this is outside a school) and I was at the front of a short queue of cars. As the lollipop lady was just starting to walk back to the kerb (lights still red), a cyclist undertook me, went straight through the red light and nearly hit the poor lollipop lady who jumped out of her skin. So it's not just car drivers!

Sad that such a job should be so potentially dangerous. They're not exactly hard to spot in all their hi viz gear with their lollipop are they?
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Which just shows that it has little to do with them being in a car, more to do with them being ignorant.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    PhilofCas wrote:
    dicks
    prats
    plonkers
    nob heads
    goons
    stupid
    arseholes
    thick

Okay, I want to know how you did that - did you have to hit "preview" each time to see if the word was edited out? DickS and PratS are potential user names, but aresehole? Maybe the software's dictionary is US English only....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    PhilofCas wrote:
    dicks
    prats
    plonkers
    nob heads
    goons
    stupid
    arseholes
    thick

I prefer theword CRIMINALS
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    The Daily Bigot was left lying around at work the other day, with a front page headline of "Milking Motorists". After the usual bs about poor victimised criminals--er, I mean drivers, the Mail had the wonderful phrase "..and those trapped by the police"

A few pages further in, we learned that the poor suffering saints that are UK motorists were actually vicious evil bastards trying to kill sweet and innocent lollipop ladies, who had to be equipped with video cameras.....
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    PhilofCas wrote:
    dicks
    prats
    plonkers
    nob heads
    goons
    stupid
    arseholes
    thick

Okay, I want to know how you did that - did you have to hit "preview" each time to see if the word was edited out? DickS and PratS are potential user names, but aresehole? Maybe the software's dictionary is US English only....

didn't give it a second thought, just typed away, hit 'submit' and hey presto the words were there for all to see :)
  • C-S-B
    C-S-B Posts: 117
    wow, the mere thought of someone getting angry at a lollipop lady for safely getting some kids across a street is appaling, especially as round here the lights are usually red when she steps out
  • to the lollipop lady on a pedestrian crossing: remind me again why you're necessary?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    to the lollipop lady on a pedestrian crossing: remind me again why you're necessary?

To stop drivers from running red lights while children are in the middle of the road, and to make sure that they are all safely out of the way before the traffic starts moving again.

Having been closed to knocked down myself at the pedestrian crossing outside Sainsbury's in Surbiton (driver in his 60's with wife beside him decided the bus that had stopped at the crossing for people to cross was taking too long so just overtook the bus, talk about adrenalin on my part!!!)

They can be bizzare though in a safety sense. Outside the nearby Surbiton Girls High school they had a crossing guard at the traffic lights. Fine except that not 5 metres away from the crossing, over the 4 lanes of road (2 each way) there would be at least once a week buses parked over the double yellow lines of one lane, blocking the traffic approaching the lights? Somehow that aspect of "road safety" was never addressed by the crossing guard who expected me to obey the rules?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    to the lollipop lady on a pedestrian crossing: remind me again why you're necessary?

I often thought this but some of the roads in the Teesside area can be quite intimidating to School kids, even at crossings. At least if there is a crossing patrol (PC term :D ) then there's that little bit of protection....allegedly!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    They also stop the kids from dashing across without looking.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.