new road bike for £600-800?

keef66
keef66 Posts: 13,123
edited April 2008 in Workshop
Turned 50 last year, decided I'd had enough of the physical punishment which riding my light but fully rigid mtb off-road entails. Put some skinny road tyres on it, and started doing road rides. Frustrating experience; frequently can't find an appropriate gear, bars too wide and position too upright for aerodynamic progress. I briefly considered trying to convert it further, but it soon became obvious that I should instead buy a proper road bike.
This year's bonus means I have a reasonable budget, so what should I get?

I like the look of the Trek 1.5, and the fact it will take mudguards is quite appealing. On the other hand I'm less sure about the Tiagra componentry, and wonder if I should stump up the extra £200 for the 1.7 which has 105 throughout (but no mudguard eyelets).

Any suggestions for alternatives?

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Keep the MTB for wet/winter riding and dont worry about mudguards for your road bike. The 1.7 looks really nice and the 105 group will give you easier options for upgrading later on. I was looking at the 1.7 as well but the GTr series2 2008 is a good alternative at the same price it comes with carbon seatstays to smooth out the ride, as well as being a bit different. Ended up buying an Orbea though, which is a different story altogether!
  • keef66
    Good point about the mudguards, but I just think that once I get the road bike the old mtb won't get a look in. And I hate having a wet bum.

'Nother question; I'm in gently undulating Suffolk, so no protracted climbing, but the occasional brief climb. So will I be OK with the double chainring, or in view of my advanced age, should I play safe and get the triple?
  • markos1963
    keef66 wrote:
    Good point about the mudguards, but I just think that once I get the road bike the old mtb won't get a look in. And I hate having a wet bum.

'Nother question; I'm in gently undulating Suffolk, so no protracted climbing, but the occasional brief climb. So will I be OK with the double chainring, or in view of my advanced age, should I play safe and get the triple?

Similar terrain to you where I live so go for the double, its a compact(50/34) so you will have enough gearing to get up most climbs. I did several big hills around Sheringham and Cromer today and I didn't need the bottom 3 gears at all(45yo and 1.5 stone overweight). As for the mudguards you can use those SKS raceblades which will give some protection.
  • keef66
    so it's starting to look like a 1.7 and some raceblades. Just need to persuade wife now!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Have a look at the Ribble Winter Trainers - you can get Campag, decent wheels, and mudguards for less than £800 - everything to your Spec.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • keef66
    Looking at their bike builder if I opt for the Ribble winter / audax frame I do seem to be able to spec quite a good bike. Trouble is, for a relative newcomer,there are too many options. I don't really know about the different crank lengths, chainsets, cassettes etc, and what about sizing??

With a ready built bike like the Treks I get to sit on them in the shop and take them out for a test ride, so I can be fairly sure I'm getting something that fits me.
  • keef66
    Ahah! there's a limited edition bit on their website where most of the choices are made for you. I can do the winter / audax bike with 105 gears & shifters for under £600, and as you say, they include the mudguards!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Keep the MTB for wet/winter riding"

So that's about oh 300 days a year then on recent experience!

Apart from a small area of your back, Raceblades are really not worth the bother IME. Might as well just get an all over soaking - or fit proper 'grds.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • markos1963
    keef66 wrote:
    Ahah! there's a limited edition bit on their website where most of the choices are made for you. I can do the winter / audax bike with 105 gears & shifters for under £600, and as you say, they include the mudguards!

Very tempting to do, and I was heading that way as well but a trip to my LBS soon persueded me otherwise(at least for my first bike)
  • keef66
    yep, read several reviews of raceguards now, and most reckon they only do half a job. the Ribble winter bike complete with proper mudguards sound like it ticks most of my boxes. Only downside is not being able to test ride one
  • keef66
    reddragon, what's the rest of the spec on your winter bike??
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    keef66 wrote:
    reddragon, what's the rest of the spec on your winter bike??

I built mine myself from random bits bought in random places - but Ribble will build up to your spec.

Mine is:
    Wheels - Campag Ventos
    Shifters - Veloce 08
    Mech (f+r) - Veloce 08
    Chainset (53/39) and brake calipers - Centaur 06
    Chain - KMC Gold
    Veloce 12-25 Cassette

Most of the fiinishing kit is pretty random, Arione saddle, 25c GP4000 tyres, Ritchey comp bars, some cheap shiny alloy seatpost, ITM stem and Tacx Tao bottle cages.

Cost me just under £500 to build it this month (some bits I already had though).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr