6' 3" with 34" inside leg and need guidance on fra

davehutch
davehutch Posts: 24
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I still have an old Marin Bear Valley (no sus) and have always been pretty uncomfortable in the shoulders.
It has a 21" frame and my pedal reach is just about OK with the post in the maximum position, but even with high rise bars and stem I still find I'm leaning too heavily on the bars.

Anyway, I'm now debating whether to buy a new bike with front shocks and I'm intrigued about the 29" versions around these days.

Would a 29" make a difference to my comfort and either way, what frame size should I be looking for to make it more enjoyable?

I know I need to ride a few but a rough idea to start with would be great.
Looking at the Genesis Core 10, Fisher Cobia 29" or Wahoo Disc at the moment.

Thanks for reading my rambling,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • davehutch
    davehutch Posts: 24
    Thanks, I did have a read of that before I posted, also found a couple of other threads with similar subject matter.
    I guess I have two questions:
    1. Would a 29" help me out, considering the problems I described?
    2. Are the frames on the bikes I've listed likely to help, or will they cause more probs? I know that some manufacturers frames differ to others because of geometry.

Like I say, I did read the link you quoted but I needed help relating to my questions and individual situation.

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its hard to say. 29ers vary so much with geometry too - you'd have to test individual models to see if it benefits you. It sounds like the stem is too long, or the frame is too long.