What brake setup?.... Wanting to upgrade the Avid 3.5s

frayz
frayz Posts: 40
edited April 2008 in MTB buying advice
Recently purchased a Scott scale 50 with Avid 3.5s. The bike has now covered approx 43miles and im wanting a bit more from my brakes.

Im aware that the brakes need bedding in but id like something a with a bit more power.

Can i just upgrade the pads?

Do they need more miles on them?

If not, any recomendations on brake setups for my bike?

Are they all standard fitment? ie can i fit any 6 bolt brake setup?

I like the look of the Hope M4 setup, would this bolt straight on?

Cheers again :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd keep with them, make sure they are adjusted properly. They can take a while to bed in.
  • Douche
    Douche Posts: 134
    ive got juicy 7s and they have taken nearly 150mile to properly bed in, i think the standard pads in the 3s is the same as the 7s. I made a mistake of posting that my brakes were not biting hard enough and becuase id done about 60-70 mile with plenty of solid braking i was sure that my brakes (particularly my front) were not as they should be, they just needed about x5 the bedding in time that Avid suggested in their manual
    I found it hard, its was hard to find, oh well whatever nevermind.

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
    Cane Creek Grips/Ergo Ends
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    You could get a larger front rotor and adapter if you are not happy with the power even after "full" bedding in.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    How used do the brakes look, you might be better to sell them now on ebay and get new ones.

I'd look at the best formula brakes you can afford (180mm/160mm) or the mono mini's (or even the pros). The mini's have loads of power (i have had two sets now) and look great.
  • frayz
    frayz Posts: 40
    So i should just stick with em till at least 150 miles then?

ride_whenever, They look almost new mate, the bikes only 2 weeks old :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I was just suggesting that new brakes will sell for slightly more second hand, giving you more cash for shiny new parts...